Does any motherboard fit with any case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
I'm wanting to build my own computer and know everything to do, except I don't know if the socket holes in the case will fit up with the sockets on the motherboard once I put the motherboard in. I've never had to put the motherboard in when building my computers before and am not sure about the topic.

I want to put a "ABIT "KV8" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon64 CPU " in a "DYNAPOWER Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 430W Power Supply, Model 86B2." I found both at newegg.

So does the "ATX" signify that it is compatible with any ATX motherboard (comparing where the sockets lign up with the holes)? What other terms are there other than ATX and is ATX most common now days.

ATX is pretty much standard I think, for tower cases anyway, there's also MicroATX for small cases like my Antec Aria :D, and then MiniATX or something like that, measuring about 12cm across - for strange projects like making a computer in a model car or giving your microwave more functionality.

It's hard to define "regular" but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help.

"ATX" is a type of mobo, and there are serveral kinds besides ATX. Kinda like batteries come in AA, C, D, etc. Not all fit in the same slot, so you just need to be mindful of that. Most boards come in the ATX form now, because that's pretty widely compatible between mid towers and full towers.

My mobo (gigabyte) came with a new plate to fit into the case so all the ports were in the correct place. Hopefully the same would apply to your mobo so the case plate would not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom