new computer for $800ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
stick with the q6600 (no need to spend more on the q6700)...your spelling of "maybe" is annoying RK lol.

like said don't get a factory oced card.

i don't know, rosewills are pretty good, you could stick with that psu.

Yes get a 7200.11 (has 32mb cache instead of 16mb)

ahh...get a af7 and mx-2. Everything else looks good.

After looking at the much appreciated input, heres what i think im going with as a final draft. please let me know if somethings wrong...

Newegg.com - Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
$30 (+) $10 MIR with arctic silver 5
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - Operating Systems
$110
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
$220
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$90
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
$60
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV, FCC - Power Supplies
$57
Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$150 (+) $20 MIR
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
$65

with saved money, I decided to get a DVD burner in addition to the cd burner drive i already have
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
$30

Heres my current case that ill be sticking this all in.
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Computer Cases
questions: will motherboard and components have enough cables and all required components?
im assumeing that the power supply is more than enough for what im needing.
anything to watch for when assembling?

Final price 814 + 28 = $842 total with $30 MIR, thats pretty close to my $800 'budget.'

thanks all

The motherboard will come with 2 SATA cables, 2 IDE cables, and all the screws you will need. I believe that's what mine came with. Should be enough for all you'll need. And I believe the Rosewill 550 has somewhere along 30-36 amps on the 12v rail so it should be enought to power your video card and everything else.

You can probably find a cheaper 9600GT that is just as good. I know I saw some on there for about $140 and had $25 MIR so that would make it only $115 after MIR.

EDIT: Looks like the rebate for the one ended, but here's one for $120 after MIR.
Newegg.com - PALiT NE/9600T+0152 GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

After looking at the much appreciated input, heres what i think im going with as a final draft. please let me know if somethings wrong...

Newegg.com - Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
$30 (+) $10 MIR with arctic silver 5
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - Operating Systems
$110
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
$220
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$90
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
$60
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV, FCC - Power Supplies
$57
Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$150 (+) $20 MIR
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
$65

with saved money, I decided to get a DVD burner in addition to the cd burner drive i already have
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
$30

Heres my current case that ill be sticking this all in.
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Computer Cases
questions: will motherboard and components have enough cables and all required components?
im assumeing that the power supply is more than enough for what im needing.
anything to watch for when assembling?

Final price 814 + 28 = $842 total with $30 MIR, thats pretty close to my $800 'budget.'

thanks all

i would seriously recommend that you take another look at the suggestions that people made... if you ask anyone who knows anything in the forums, youll be better off with what i suggested....
especially with the power supply, hard drive, and CPU heatsink...
otherwise, later on down the line, once you know more, youll end up regretting it im sure...
but w/e, your build, your call... so the final word is up to you, but... really think about it... haha

anyways...
about the power supply, its not the watts that matter so much as the 12V rail... so id have to look... but i honestly dont have a great feeling about rosewill PSUs... idk

and yes, your motherboard should come with enough cables for everything... mine came with spares even, so... prolly no worries...

and... uhm... making sure you dont short your parts out (specially right when youre taking them out of the boxes) with static electricity: ground yourself first by touching something metal (ie, the inside of your case) and make sure not to plug in your PSU till youre done building... electrocution = notfun...

other than those, just follow your motherboard manual and you should be alright... and if not, post back here and ASK before you act... better safe then sorry and ending up with an $800 footstool/paperweight... XD

good luck :) - RK

The Rosewill 550 is plenty to power what he needs (it gets 35 amps on the 12v rails so that is plenty for his graphics card and all peripherals). I used the Rosewill 500 (31 amps on 12v rails) for a similar build with a 9600GT and still ran everything. It's a highly rated power supply on Newegg and I have nothing but good experiences with them. His chosen parts are all very good especially for his budget. The only thing I would maybe recommend is to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for your heatsink/fan instead of the Scythe.

His hard drive is fine. If he doesn't need the extra space, he doesn't need the extra size or to pay for the 7200.11. He would not notice a difference between the 7200.10 and the 7200.11 unless he looked long and hard.

The Rosewill 550 is plenty to power what he needs (it gets 35 amps on the 12v rails so that is plenty for his graphics card and all peripherals). I used the Rosewill 500 (31 amps on 12v rails) for a similar build with a 9600GT and still ran everything. It's a highly rated power supply on Newegg and I have nothing but good experiences with them. His chosen parts are all very good especially for his budget. The only thing I would maybe recommend is to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for your heatsink/fan instead of the Scythe.

His hard drive is fine. If he doesn't need the extra space, he doesn't need the extra size or to pay for the 7200.11. He would not notice a difference between the 7200.10 and the 7200.11 unless he looked long and hard.

I have my old 160 harddrive, which is getting old, and recently had some bad sectors, as a backup to my external 250 GB hard drive. i got the scythe because its (at least supposedly) quieter than most, and ive got 2 case fans lined up on it. Im going to get the AF7pro, though; cheaper and greater air flow, many more reviews. maybe i shouldnt worry about it, but i think my case is really loud, and was hoping to cut it down some... ive been reading and with bios auto fan speed settings, itll only get up there when you need it. i suppose i could get the 7200.11, but for little noticed, its just another few bucks that keep adding up.

thanks again, and with no futher disagreement, i think ill buy this later...

Ah, so you are worried about noise? Well, to be honest, it is hard to have a good gaming machine without noise (since you have to have good airflow to keep things cool and the good air flow is dependent on fans which in turn cause noise). The noise really doesn't bother me too much. No matter how loud, as long as I have headphones or good speakers, I don't notice the noise once I'm gaming. And I really have nothing against the Scythe; I've never researched it. I just know that the AF7 is a great cooler for its very low price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom