Intel guys....opinions on Q6700 vs Q9300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run vista 64 with 4gb of memory and that is more than enough. The only reason you would need 8 is if you are doing huge photoshops or rendering video. Or running like 12 virtual machines.

I'm running XP Home 32-bit then on virtual machines: Linux 8.02 or whatever it is, vista home 32-bit and opensuse. I have 2GB of ram and if I run them all it gets laggy to say the least!

I know for whatever reason when I had 1GB of RAM, I didn't seem to have a huge issue running out of RAM.

But, as soon as I went to 2GB, I've been running out a lot.

Might be the fact that I tend to run 1-2 Virtual Machines, like 100+ Tabs in Firefox, Play Music, Remote Control Multiple Computers at once, IM, and do several other things at the same time very often.

Hopefully 4GB will be good. I wanted to turn off Virtual Memory.

If not, I guess I can always order more. Hopefully, they'll run the same rebate promotion or a better one next time, though, as the promotion right now isn't too bad...

I run vista 64 with 4gb of memory and that is more than enough. The only reason you would need 8 is if you are doing huge photoshops or rendering video. Or running like 12 virtual machines.

I wouldn't put that past me. ;)

I tend to overdo things a lot, anyway.

Everything's ordered except the RAM. I've gotta wait a few more hours, because apparently my bank has a supposed Max of 500$ charged on a Debit card in a 24 hour period, although I know it let me spend somewhere between 600-700 last night, although I had to wait a few hours on one order before it took, although I haven't got checked the specifics.

Now, I've just got to get around to testing out XP x64 again in the next day or two. I haven't tested it since right after it came out, and I know I had some driver issues, and software issues, but I'd think most should be resolved by now. I haven't tested it since before the latest service pack came out for it.

I know for whatever reason when I had 1GB of RAM, I didn't seem to have a huge issue running out of RAM.

But, as soon as I went to 2GB, I've been running out a lot.

Might be the fact that I tend to run 1-2 Virtual Machines, like 100+ Tabs in Firefox, Play Music, Remote Control Multiple Computers at once, IM, and do several other things at the same time very often.

Hopefully 4GB will be good. I wanted to turn off Virtual Memory.

If not, I guess I can always order more. Hopefully, they'll run the same rebate promotion or a better one next time, though, as the promotion right now isn't too bad...

I wouldn't put that past me. ;)

I tend to overdo things a lot, anyway.

Everything's ordered except the RAM. I've gotta wait a few more hours, because apparently my bank has a supposed Max of 500$ charged on a Debit card in a 24 hour period, although I know it let me spend somewhere between 600-700 last night, although I had to wait a few hours on one order before it took, although I haven't got checked the specifics.

Now, I've just got to get around to testing out XP x64 again in the next day or two. I haven't tested it since right after it came out, and I know I had some driver issues, and software issues, but I'd think most should be resolved by now. I haven't tested it since before the latest service pack came out for it.

dude, you always write long paragraphs in your posts lol, you should be an author!!

For future reference, you can call the bank and have the up your daily limit, i had to raise mine to $1500 when i bought my lcd hdtv, and some other things.

dude, you always write long paragraphs in your posts lol, you should be an author!!

Yeah, I admit that I have a problem with keeping things short. :p

I'm not sure how I'd do with that, though.

For future reference, you can call the bank and have the up your daily limit, i had to raise mine to $1500 when i bought my lcd hdtv, and some other things.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about a daily limit, because back in Sept. when I bought my Digital Camera (Canon PowerShot S5 IS), and a 2GB SD Card, and a few accessories for it, it ended up totaling 508$ at Best Buy, and they had to swipe the card twice, once for 500$, and once for 8$ for it to take.

I knew they had a limit per transaction, but because of the fact that it went though like that the second time, and this morning, when I waited a few hours, it let me charge a little more, I thought it just had a per transaction limit, or a small limit on how often charges could be made.

But, supposedly after I called the bank this morning, there's a 500$ a day limit, unless I go down and sign something to raise it.

I don't use it enough to worry about it, and if I need it from now on, I know what to do.

I just gave up at 3pm today, when I was trying to order my RAM, and asked my Mom if I could use her Credit card for the RAM, and I wrote a check out for the amount to her, so I could get it ordered.

To get ready for my new computer, I've just installed XP x64 SP2 on my current machine on a different HDD, to test everything out.

And, Yes, I'm aware that this reply wasn't very short, and I originally set out to keep it brief to prove that I could make shorter posts. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom