3870 bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you return the card and use the money to buy a CPU?

I would recommend either:

Q6600 - For future proofing and price.

E8400 - For Performance

Or if your a AMD fan

X3 8750 - Heard its a pretty good processor.

If i where to choose i would say the Q6600.

Can you return the card and use the money to buy a CPU?

I would recommend either:

Q6600 - For future proofing and price.

E8400 - For Performance

Or if your a AMD fan

X3 8750 - Heard its a pretty good processor.

If i where to choose i would say the Q6600.

not trying to completely bash you, just making a point.

the 165's were a 939 and so he'd have to get a new cpu/mobo/ram, which wouldn't be very cost effective, just for one of the cpu's you listed above.

3 questions i have about your current setup though.

1) what did you get for frame rates on the 1900xt? and were those maxed settings.

2) have you tried to OC your cpu?

3) what size monitor are you on?

You should try turning up the settings and update to the latest Catalyst Drivers out now

AMD6415, you CPU is fine. It will run the games out now without a problem. It will not bottleneck a 3870, so don't worry about that.

Yes, there are faster CPUs on the market, but you are in good enough shape to run whatever you want. To upgrade would require a new mobo, CPU, and RAM... which won't be cheap. There is NOTHING wrong with using what you have now. you may decide to upgrade in the future, but you are in good shape now.

yeah the CPU you have is fine for current games...if you are not experiencing a jump in performance from the x1900gt then there's something else wrong.

ok i guess ill try uninstalling the drivers and try reinstalling them. Also I am only on a 17 or 18inch monitor, gonna try OC a little bit on the CPU and see what happens there.

well I had decent frame rate, I dunno about good but it was ok, but that was with the settings turned down quite a bit on the newer games, so I figured I would get a better card just so I could turn the settings up and play the games and actually have them look good and yea now I am in the situation I am in now. What about not enough power? could it be running slow because its not getting enough power to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom