cannot overclock my q6600 anymore.. help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast1917

Baseband Member
Well, i used to be able to easily clock my q6600 to 3.0ghz with 12hours prime95 stable (stock voltages), but now ive added in 2 more 1XGB sticks of Apacer PC6400 DDR2 ram for a total of 4X1GB, and 3.0ghz is suddenly completely unstable. (Blue screen after 20seconds of prime95).

And Ive also tried memtest86 with the q6600 on stock 2.4ghz in case the memory was bad, but it all checked out.

any suggestions? cheers

Are the ram sticks all exactly the same? (brand, model, speed, timings) thats all i can think of, unless your pc needs a dusting and the temps are getting too high?

i think it would be you mem cuz it worked b4 u put the sticks in. is your memorry exactlly the same, you comp might be trying to give them both one voltage but one set is needing a different voltage.

i think it would be you mem cuz it worked b4 u put the sticks in. is your memorry exactlly the same, you comp might be trying to give them both one voltage but one set is needing a different voltage.

There is only one voltage option for memory...

In addition to the other questions, what's the FSB:RAM ratio?

it's probably that one set of ram chips can handle the fsb:ram ratio and the other can't.

set the fsb:ram ratio to either unlinked or a setting that makes it as close to stock settings as possible and you should be fine.

hi, thanks for all your replies. im not sure about the

fsb:ram ratio

but...

fsb : 333
ram is at 800mhz

and yea, the ram sticks are directly identical, although i've bought them at different times (the 2nd pair of sticks 3 months later than the first pair).

oh and my motherboard is p35-ds3r

cheers.

In general, if all four ram slots are populated, the max overclock is reduced, but i have no idea why...its just a fact of life :mad:

In general, if you fill up all 4 slots, be prepared to lower ur oc...

Running all four slots of memory causes your board to need more voltage to support the FSB. Not sure what you would need to increase on a p35 board, but i know on the nvidia chipsets it takes more voltage on the northbridge to run 4 sticks stable compared to just 2. This is why i sold my 4x1 setup and got 2x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom