Lack of motivation( school wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Right ok here's the deal. I recently turned 17, which in England means i am doing my A-levels. This is the first year and so i am doing my AS level exams( basically As is half of A2, you do the other half next year).

Now at the moment i am taking four subjects(technically 5): Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Critical thinking( now this is not exactly an official A-level, i believe it is worth half an A-level points wise, which is to do with getting into Universities, however university are started tor recognize it more as something extra which helps basically).

Generally you drop one subject at AS-level and continue on with three( four in my case as i'd continue with critical thinking on the side). Obviously you drop the subject your doing the worst in/hate, for me this is Maths.

My problem is that i've lost any motivation toward the maths exams this summer, as i'm finding it very hard and even when a try to revise it doesn't seem to stick. In the Janaury exam, which was worth 30% of my grade, i did in fact scrap an A grade, giving me 24% of that 30%. My aim is to try and pass AS maths, by pass i mean get a C grade, which is 60% overall. So basically out of the 70% of exams i have in the summer, i need to get 36%(38% to play it safe) to get my C. To me this means getting roughly half marks(slightly more, just by 2 or 3 marks) on the two summer exams.

I guess i'm asking for advice here, how do i motivate myself. I have three weeks until my statistics exam(40%) and 6 weeks until my Core 2 exam( 30%). In some ways statistics can be easier as it's more remembering the many formulas, you do get a formula booklet in your exam, although it doesn't contain all of them, especially not the very important ones.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, what methods did you use just to push yourself? I feel i'm putting maths to the side to make sure i get my A grade in biology( which will happen) and hopefully Chemistry( a little hard which is why for a week im going to be doing this tons).

Just battle it out, try hard. Really hard, just for the next year or two. Just 'till you get into University.
You won't regret it, it'll set how the rest of your life turns out. Do well now... enjoy the good life after.

Okay, i am only 14. But i've seen the consequences, my mum's brother tried extremely hard at school, result ? Went to imperial college and now lives the high life. My mum ? definitely had the potential to do well, but gave up at my age. Gets an average wage now, regrets it.

Just keep telling yourself, the better you do, the better your LIFE will be. (And the more likely you get the better side of the deal when it comes to getting girls ;))

:)

Just battle it out, try hard. Really hard, just for the next year or two. Just 'till you get into University.
You won't regret it, it'll set how the rest of your life turns out. Do well now... enjoy the good life after.

Okay, i am only 14. But i've seen the consequences, my mum's brother tried extremely hard at school, result ? Went to imperial college and now lives the high life. My mum ? definitely had the potential to do well, but gave up at my age. Gets an average wage now, regrets it.

Just keep telling yourself, the better you do, the better your LIFE will be. (And the more likely you get the better side of the deal when it comes to getting girls ;))

:)

Yes and once you get to the University you will need to battle it out some more.

Sorry I know that will not motivate you but it really does not get too much easer at the university, at least not for a while.

But he does have a point. Would you rather do good in school and get a good paying job or work your butt off and make minimum wage all your life.

That would motivate me.:happy:

Oh and by the way I could use a little motivation for running my small business. I am a graphic designer and trying to get my website to work right. I have been trying for months to get it to look right for different web browsers. In Internet explorer it looks like my website was glued together. When I finally get it to look right in IE it looks bad in Firefox and vise versa. I just don't know anymore, I really just need a swift kick in the pants.

well to be honest the reason i lack motivation is because when applying to UNi, as long as i get my A in biology, A in chem and B in history, the AS maths wont matter that much, that's the problem. If i was not dropping it this year i'd probably care more, but, i don;t.:D

Meh i don't want the high life in some ways, at the end of the day i'd like a job that pays £30000-£35000 like my mum. Were pretty comfortable on that without any help from my dad( he pays no child support)

The difference is working your butt off the rest of your life for your boss, or being that boss. If you drop out of running for college, you can kiss off having a better paying job that won't destroy your body. I have started back to college myself as I am tired of being the who sweats it out all day long.

£30000-£35000 = $65-$75K here. You won't get that on a high school education. I make decent money for my area, but I am not in that ballpark.

The difference is working your butt off the rest of your life for your boss, or being that boss. If you drop out of running for college, you can kiss off having a better paying job that won't destroy your body. I have started back to college myself as I am tired of being the who sweats it out all day long.

£30000-£35000 = $65-$75K here. You won't get that on a high school education. I make decent money for my area, but I am not in that ballpark.

Exactly!!! 100% agree. I am dealing with that right now. I started my own business and I am just trying to get it off the ground. I want to be my own boss.

oh don't worry i am going to University, lol. I expect two As and a B in my A2's. It's just i;ve lost motivation for AS maths...

Also i'm not sure if you can compare salaries like that. What is a middle class job in America, pay wise?

Every active member of tech-forums will send you 2 dollars every A and 1 dollar every B you get ! :D.

Work !

It's just i;ve lost motivation for AS maths...
I hated Maths. I found it pretty pointless. Now that I am out of school the only Maths I use is to count how much money I have.

I didn't have much motivation for school, I was more focused on working for myself. I believed that you don't get rich working for someone else.

It's peculiar how you all refer to it as "maths".

And your problem, Joeyboy, is very obvious. You need a bit more self-discipline.

GET TO IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom