Power problem with Vista on my Compaq Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I've got a CP F730US that I just installed a new hard drive into out of my daughter's Toshiba (it had a completely broken screen that she couldn't use.)

Anyway, I loaded up my Compaq recovery disc and all seems to be working as well as it did before my original hard drive went bad. In other words, its Vista and I have tons of little problems that drive me postal :mad: :mad: . Yes, I hate Vista!

My computer was having power issues before the new HD and now its having them again but slightly different. If my computer goes to sleep (which it is programmed to do after 15 mins) it locks up and I can't turn it back on. All the little lights are on (screen off, of course) but I can't get it to turn back on. I eventually have to hold the power button down and "hard boot" it off and turn it back on :mad:.

I have my computer programmed to go into hibernate when I close the lid. This usually works but I must remember to close the lid or it will go to sleep instead and lock up on me. As a bonus of the sleep, it burns a lot more battery power with all of those lights on and who knows what else.

Please help.

A little extra info to make my long post even longer :rolleyes: : When I went to sleep last night, my laptop was in hibernate with all lights off. I woke up at 3am and saw lights coming from my laptop :mad: ! It had come back on by itself and then went into sleep and locked up! I was so angry that I havent' been able to get back to sleep.

Would the laptop have "woke" itself up if it had scheduled tasks to do and then went to sleep after finishing??

Go into Power Management under the control panel and change how you want the laptop to respond to certain things (closing, leaving on for 15 minutes)

If you can't be bothered with vista then install XP.

Would the laptop have "woke" itself up if it had scheduled tasks to do and then went to sleep after finishing??

Yes it possibly could have performed a update or virus scan and then when into sleep instead of hibernate, like i said just change it so it doesn't sleep in the Power Management Tool.

I have my laptop set to just stay on all the time if it's plugged in. If I'm on battery, then sleep mode is useful, but when you're plugged in there's no reason to enable sleep mode, especially if it's causing problems. The only thing I have my laptop set to do is turn the screen off when closed or after a while of idle time so that it doesn't burn in (well, image persistence on LCD's).

3 AM is when the computer is scheduled to do windows updates, so that might be why all the lights were on. and yeah. power management. if you just click on the battery icon it will give you options, and just click the more power options and it will take you where you wanna be.

How old is this drive you are using from the Toshiba? It wouldn't hurt to check to see if you have the latest bios.

3 AM is when the computer is scheduled to do windows updates, so that might be why all the lights were on. and yeah. power management. if you just click on the battery icon it will give you options, and just click the more power options and it will take you where you wanna be.

Yes, I was thinking that it might have come on to do scheduled tasks. Would it come out of hibernate to do that? I know it wouldn't turn itself on from being off but hibernate isn't quite as off as off is.

It used a ton of battery when it turned itself back on. I have no idea when it actually came on but when I put it into hibernate last night, the battery had 100% charge and I unplugged it. When I unlocked the "frozen up, sleeping" computer, battery power was down to 36%!

I know that there is a problem because when this laptop goes into sleep mode, it freezes up and the only way to unlock it is to "hard" power it down by pressing the pwr button.

Go into Power Management under the control panel and change how you want the laptop to respond to certain things (closing, leaving on for 15 minutes)

If you can't be bothered with vista then install XP........

I did that and went into "power options" then clicked on "change when the computer sleeps" on the left side of the screen. Next, I selected the computer to never sleep. Next I clicked on "change advance power settings" and this brought up a box where I could actually select when I want the computer to hibernate. I selected when 1 min for both battery and plugged in and then selected "apply."

The computer still won't go into hibernate after 1 min like I selected :mad:. There is something way wrong with the power management on this computer. I guess I'm going to have to call the HP tech in India again.

Yes, I hate Vista and I do not have the patience for this. My brand new Windows XP laptop from the new CompUSA is waiting for me at home. This computer will be my daughter's. I'd like to make it work right for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom