Dell Optiplex Gs+ Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Posted about this in the linux forum...

I recently acquired 9 Dell Optiplex Gs+ computers. Anyone out there have experience with these things? Apparently they were being used as servers before being decomissioned. I've now acquired them and i'd like to hear from people who have used these before.

I'm posting about these in a number of areas because i've got a number of questions about them. I've already done the google thing and did research on them to see their specs, so i'm looking now to hear from those who have used these before or who may still be using them.

128mb ram max, simm edo
133 to 200 mhz intel processor (socket 7)
Hd space on these things are very small
They have built in 3com nics
Video type SVGA
Video chip set S3 Trio64V+ 86C765
Video memory 1 MB standard, upgradable to 2 MB

1) What are these units commonly used for? These particular units were in use by a local library, although i didn't learn what they were using them for.

2) What windows OS would run adequately on these boxes? I THINK they were running win NT but i'm not sure. How would win98 sport on these things? How would win NT server do?

3) Suggestions on what i could use these for in a network? I'm just looking for ideas... and no... giant paperweights or foot rests are not among the answers i'm looking for!

4) Any general info, your personal experiences with this unit, or broad ideas, suggestions are welcome. I basically have these 9 computers to play with and am just fishin for ideas and info (i'd like to toss linux in a few of them).

:)

I got one of those, a GXa just a few days ago. I got it from my state's Department of Transportation, they got new comupters and gave them out for like 30 bucks. These are for offices, probley left on most of the time. I got one with 128mb, P2 233Mhz, which I am tring to get an OS on (see my post).
Hope that helps

See your post??? What post might that be?

They don't handle much in the way of processors, but they are definitely used for servers and office use. I'm just wondering what to do with the 9 or so i have lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom