2PCs, alpha plan for build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
My plan for a build is still a few months off. (Waiting for some money that will come my way once i graduate + tech releases) But i'm currently working on researching the builds. My current plan is to take my old rig and give it to my brother and build a new one for myself. But i'm not sure if i might upgrade some of the parts in the older rig for him as a gift.

Current Rig:
Generic Case
C2D E6550
Crucial Ballistix 2x 1gb DDR2 667 3-3-3-12
ASRock 4CoreDuel-SATA2
EVGA 7800 GS AGP
ST3320620A 320GB PATA
ST3500630A 500GB PATA
NEC DVDRW ND-1300A
HL-DT-ST DVD
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

The rig i will be building for myself i'm planning to use mostly for gaming but my goal mostly is to future proof it cause i rarely upgrade (cheap and lazy). The only reason this current rig is running a C2D is cause my P4 died on me in december. My brother has used Macs for the last few years, being an art student it was prudent at the time, but with the changes in PCs over the years, and the fact that Macs are intel based now, i've convinced him to return to PCs. So he'll be using the PC mostly for video editing and art related stuff, and some mild gaming.

So my questions are as follows: What is a good cheap video card that would outperform the 7800gs in video editing and rendering but still perform well in gaming? Or is the 7800gs sufficient for extensive video editing?
Would upgrading the motherboard to one that supports 1333fsb increase the stability and performance of the E6550? The current mobo is 1066 and the E6550 is 1333.

Still Undecided on final build for new machine:
Cosmos case
Waiting till July for the GT200.
2gb ddr2 800
q6700 or q9300, depends on 1066 or 1333
Undecided on mother board. Was considering 780i
Creative X-fi
Seagate 7200.11 1Tb
Looking for recommendations on burner drives. No need for HD/Blu

Questions:
Have any of the rumors that the GT200 supporting DX10.1 been confirmed?
I heard the new Seagate's with 32cache run almost as fast as raptors, true? or am i thinking of another model?
Has there been any release date set/discussed for Nehalem? I might just wait for that if it's within the year.
How much wattage/type of PSU would be best for this approximate set up?

too expensive, and i've heard that the performance boost isn't great enough to justify the current price. Maybe if the price drops by the time i actually do the build.
EDIT: Hoping to keep the budget on the new system around the 1500 range approximately. Maybe ~2000 at the most.

Well, in that case it looks good. Personally, I wouldn't get the GT200 when it comes out. I would wait until it comes out so that prices will drop on "older technology" to get a good deal. But that's just how I get around my budget :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom