"phone line in use" internet error

Status
Not open for further replies.

annesha

Solid State Member
Just recently I started receiving that message whenever I try to sign onto the internet..I've never ran into this kind of problem with my cpu before...I have dial up of course and I only use my phone line for the internet

Please help, thanks

Well let me see I have not had dial up for years. You might be able to change the dial number. I am not sure if that is the root cause of your problem though. But just try a different dial number.

I'm a little slow so bare with me..now when you say dial number are referring to the access numbers? If not can you please explain to me what a dial number is?

By dial number, i'm presuming that Eric1 was referring to the number that you dial, via your modem, to access the Internet.

Usually there is more than one number for you to dial which you ISP will have.

Well if you want to try then you'll need to obtain another number from your ISP so you'll need to contact them.

And if i remember rightly, in dial-up, you get a small window in which you press 'Connect' or 'Dial' and the number should be listed there. So just change the number but also note down the current number just in-case ;).

Now I forgot to mention that sometimes I can actually sign in after a few tries but that's on a lucky day...now if the dial number isn't the problem what else could be the issue?

Does it always give the same error?

Could be a modem, cable or even telephone socket problem.

Or could just be that wherever you're dialling into is full of users.

May be worth running it past your ISP too. As after all you're paying for a service that isn't "always on".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom