Need help with computer problem please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbfoster1

Beta member
My sister called me and told me her monitor was saying no input. I told her a couple of things to try but it didn't work. When I went over there to look at it, I noticed the fan over the cpu sounded like a boeing 747. I never did any of the troubleshooting I was going to do for the monitor because I figured with the noise the fan was making it was something else.

Its a little dusty on the inside, I wouldn't say it was horrible but needs some cleaning. I don't think that would be the problem though. Does anyone have any clue of what I could do to troubleshoot this problem? What would cause the fan to being running so hard?

Thanks in advance for you help.

It's overheating. There is probably dust in the heatsink clogging it. It's hard to see and you have to make sure the inside is pretty dust free.

I cleaned everything out but its still loud and running fast. Its not the same sound but still loud and fast. Any Ideas?

You mean the fan is loud or is something else loud?

And by running fast i presume you mean the fan again?

You mean the fan is loud or is something else loud?

And by running fast i presume you mean the fan again?

yeah the cpu fan is fast and loud as soon as I turn on the computer and stays that way. It doesn't look like the hard drive is doing anything either.

I've blown the dust out
reseated the ram and expansion cards. still loud and no hard drive activity. It doesn't look like its booting at all and as I said above the monitor is saying "no input"

edit: I also removed the cmos battery and put it back in

edit 2: I just reseated the sata cable on both ends and it works now...how wierd

The problem came back after working for a couple of weeks. Here is a rundown of everything I've tried and a summary of the initial problem

This post might be kind of lengthy but I want to make sure I cover everything

First: The system I am working with:
HP Pavilion Media Center (m7580n)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core processor 4400
2G Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Graphics Card
320G Hard Drive

My sister called me and said she has no video output on the monitor. When I arrived I realized the CPU fan was running loud and I noticed the computer wasn't booting so I started rooting around inside.

Here is what I did
I blew out all the dust inside of the computer
I removed and replaced the CMOS battery
I reseated all the cards
I tried booting with each of the RAM sticks and then with no RAM.
Finally I removed the SATA Cable from the motherboard and reseated it. It started working. It worked for a couple of weeks and then the same problem came back.

This time I tried reseating the SATA Cable again, then moved the cable to another SATA Connection on the MB (there is 4 SATA on the MB but only 1 is used)

I Tried unplugging the power and IDE connection from the DVD/CD

I then took an old hard drive and used the (Master) Side of the IDE that is normally plugged into the DVD/CD. So the SATA drive was not in use at all

And I tried Reseating the CPU Fan power connection to the motherboard.
Nothing is working and I have a loud CPU FAN and no hard drive activity.
Thank You

Get a new CPU fan. Could still be overheating as the fan might not be taking the heat away from the Heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom