What video card can I use with Pavilion m8277c

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald_s

Beta member
I bought a Pavilion Pc at Costco and I'm having two problems.

1. What computer is Pavilion m8277c really? I can't find the motherboard layout or any info. I know it's the same as some other HP Pavilion machine that was relabled for Costco, but I don't know which one.

2. Can I use a PCI v2.0 video card with this machine? Or I guess a better question, can I take advantage of the v2.0 standard. Right now I have a 8400GS card in the machine. I know I need a bigger power supply, but can I take full advantage of something like the ATI 3850?

Thanks!!!!

Donald

well it should work as long as you get a 500W or more PSU and as far as the radon you'd probly be better off with something like a 8800GTS (G92) or a lower cost 8800GT

You will be able to use a PCI Express 2.0 graphics card because they are backwards compatible with PCI Express x16.

I bought a Pavilion Pc at Costco and I'm having two problems.

1. What computer is Pavilion m8277c really? I can't find the motherboard layout or any info. I know it's the same as some other HP Pavilion machine that was relabled for Costco, but I don't know which one.

2. Can I use a PCI v2.0 video card with this machine? Or I guess a better question, can I take advantage of the v2.0 standard. Right now I have a 8400GS card in the machine. I know I need a bigger power supply, but can I take full advantage of something like the ATI 3850?

Thanks!!!!

Donald

no PCI-e card can take advantage of the full 2.0 bandwidth let alone the x16 one, and x16 and 2.0 are backwards compatible

but a HD3850 will work, but the issue is that your PSU might not cut it (prebuilt machines usually have PSU's are usually just the bare minimum)

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes as I indicated in my original post, I know that a power supply upgrade will be needed. I'm still trying to figure out if the is the x16_1 or x16_2 standard which apparently does make a difference.

Again thanks.

Donald

as I indicated in the post above you, since no card can take full advantage of the bandwidth, theres no difference

well it should work as long as you get a 500W or more PSU and as far as the radon you'd probly be better off with something like a 8800GTS (G92) or a lower cost 8800GT

A 380W antec earthwatts can power a full rig with an 8800gt or even 8800gts, its not about the watts, its the amps.

Ya those earthwatts are super efficient when it comes to amperage on the 12v Railing's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom