IDE Expansion Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bla!!

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I'm trying to add 2 additional hard drives to my existing computer. MY IDE1 and IDE2 are full on my motherboard, so I bought a PCI ATA 100/133 expansion card to hook up these HD's.

Is there some reason why the computer wouldn't recognize the Hard drives? I installed the Card drivers. It's a Raid 0, 1 , 0&1 capable card, and it recognized the HD on the boot screen, but I can't find it anywhere to format the drive.

My board supports ATA 100 but not 133.

System Specs,

P4 2.4 533FSB
Intel D850EMV2 Board
Currently a WD 40 GB 7200 IDE and Maxtor 120GB 7200 IDE
I'm trying to add in a 160GB 7200 IDE and a 250BG 7200 IDE

Any help would be appreciated.

what i wonder is why you need 570GB of storage. . .

plus your airflow is gonna be really . . . bad . . . with all of those IDE cables . . .

see if you can go sata; you wont get the speed, but the cables will be smaller

also, with raid, you need 2+ hard drives with the same storage capacity

say, you buy a 160gb and 250gb hard drive and put them in raid, both will be read as 160gb, so you lose 90gb on the second one

the card is raid compatible, that doesnt mean he has to use raid.. sheesh..
--------------------------------------------------------
just go to control panel/administrative tools/computer manager/disk manager.

then rightclick on the space for the new drives were it says 'unallocated' then just click format.

EDIT: " what i wonder is why you need 570GB of storage" <-- was that comment totally unnessasay or wat... ill have over that amount in the near future. so suck it. in advance.

Yeah, I'm not setting these up for a Raid array. Just for storage :D I'm an internet junkie and don't like havin things burnt off onto CD's. My 120 and 40 are filled, so I wanted a bit extra to play with :p

I'll give that a shot jolancer.

jolancer said:
EDIT: " what i wonder is why you need 570GB of storage" <-- was that comment totally unnessasay or wat... ill have over that amount in the near future. so suck it. in advance.

THEN BUY IT IN THE FUTURE, WHEN HARD DRIVES ARE CHEAPER! AND FASTER!

and what does being an internet junkie have to do with 160gb of storage being filled?

i consider myself an internet junkie, and 40 gb is good for me

and i even do some video editting AND have over 7 gb of music on this comp. i also have a few games on this too

lol, internet junkie to me means downloading tons. At my college we have a DC Hub set up where we can download on a gigabit network. So I have about 70 movies sitting on my system and about 120 burned onto CD's

For some reason my computer doesn't like playin em from the CD so I want em back on my computer.

sshhh . . . the feds are watching the forum!

hahaha, riaa and mpaa are gonna get you

lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom