Intel guys....opinions on Q6700 vs Q9300

Status
Not open for further replies.
and Da_Viksta, your board doesn't need to support EPP to run better timings than that.

i know, but when i try to get the ram to 1066Mhz, my system doesnt boot, and automaticaly resets all CMOS settings, the highest stable ive taken it is 950Mhx with 2.2V, which is the setting on the SPD, and slightly higher chipset voltages than stock.

I have no idea how to get it higher though :( but i would love to get it past 1Ghz

And Akubane, try overclocking it with 1.28V first, im sure it can manage at least 3.2Ghz if not more with stock, but i havent tried getting past 2.9Ghz just yet...
I have too much coursework to be doing, and the last thing i need is an unstable overclock making me loose all my work :O

cool. as far as i've read theres no performance gain in games over 3.2 anyhow, and i don't care about 3dm06 so 3.2/3.4 is good for me.

ive never run it once, and don't plan to XD benchmarking's fine and dandy but it just doesn't do anything for me. Having a bunch of scores is fun and all but i'd rather spend my time blowing something up.

and did some diging on that nirvana cooler. looks real good. it'll be louder than the tuniq and 10$ more expensive ATM and has the same performance. it's a bit lighter and easier to clean dust out of so doesn't matter which you get. toms hardware and anadtech have good reviews on it.

Mm nice post charlie fellow 3rd recon member, anway Q6600 as its el cheapo here in the UK :D

ive never run it once, and don't plan to XD benchmarking's fine and dandy but it just doesn't do anything for me. Having a bunch of scores is fun and all but i'd rather spend my time blowing something up.

and did some diging on that nirvana cooler. looks real good. it'll be louder than the tuniq and 10$ more expensive ATM and has the same performance. it's a bit lighter and easier to clean dust out of so doesn't matter which you get. toms hardware and anadtech have good reviews on it.

The Xigmatek he also has on the list is better than the Tuniq or Nirvana and is nearly as good as the TRUE.

I had it at 2.8ghz with stock voltage for a 3dmark 06 run. I am using stock cooling right now, but when I get a better heatsink I will try a higher overclock.

Edit : vernong you beat me to it.

Okay, Here's what my "Final" List is shaping up to be:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=6112414&WishListTitle=Actual+List

If I don't get any good objections otherwise, and I don't see something pop up between now and tomorrow, I'll probably go ahead with what's on that list and purchase it all tomorrow.

I'd like Newegg to stock the OEM Q6700, but it hasn't yet, so looks like I'll be ordering it from TigerDirect, since it's 20$ cheaper, and the shipping would probably be less anyway, since their warehouses are a lot closer than Newegg's.

The case is shown as 119$ (Normally 139$), but there's a 40$ mail in rebate, so it'll only end up being 79.

I was looking at the case yesterday morning, and I knew it said 79, but then I looked last night again, and it was gone. Did some rummaging around, and it's still listed as valid until 5/1 in the rebate center, so I can still get that.

There ends up being a total of 90$ in mail in rebates with it too.

So, My system will probably end up being what's on the list, Plus these from my old computer:

Antec TPII-550 PSU
Seagate 500GB SATA2
Maxtor 200GB SATA1
Radeon x800GT PCIe 256MB
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-550
Samsung DVDRW

I might also add another DVDRW Drive I have to it.

Thanks guys. :)

(btw, GO STARGATE!!!! WOOOOO)

+1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom