Another "building a new pc" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garci

Baseband Member
As the title suggests, this is nothing more than a new PC thread. Basically I want a computer that's powerful enough to play games smoothly at 1280x1024 as well as editing video and for general use. I don't have much of a budget, but I do already have the monitor, speakers, OS, printer and everything that's not inside the case. So moving on to the parts, I've been looking at these (the prices between brackets are the ones I can get them for):

CPU:
- Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors ($150)
- Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors ($146)
- Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors ($137)

Video Card: I'm settled on the XFX NVIDIA 8800GT that comes with Company of Heroes for $190.

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives ($48)

I'm not yet settled on a motherboard or RAM since I don't know which processor I'm getting, thought maybe you could recommend one according to the processor you think would be best. I'll look for the best RAM I can get once I know the motherboard.

About the case and PSU I've got it all settled, I don't know the models though.

Well, that's pretty much it. Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

can you find out what PSU it is, if it's not a name brand and came with the case or something, you probably need a better one to support your new CPU and graphics card.

I would recommend the q6600 for its price and future proof availability.

Also as stated by the post above me, do you know the psu brand and wattage? It may not be suitable for the pc.

Mmm, the case is a Foxconn, that's as far as I know. And about the PSU I don't remember the model or manufacturer but the guy who's selling it to me is very reliable (sells stuff for my dad's company very often), and assured me that it would supply enough power for the computer I'm aiming to build and isn't a stock one. He doesn't work on saturdays, so I can't reach him, but for the time being we can rely on that it will supply enough power and I'll be calling him on monday to get the exact specs.

Prototype: The thing with the prices is that some of those are from a local store that I get discounts at and some others aren't (The Q6600 with the discount and the E8400 without).

EDIT: So if I got the Q6600, what motherboard would be the best? Please recommend several so that I can compare prices from different stores.

Well we cant help you with the PSU or if the case is big enough.

Are you gonna have a single gpu or multiple gpu (SLI, Crossfire)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom