Winxp cant read 2nd partition of thumbdrv

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtkm88

Beta member
Hi all,

I created 2 fat16 partitions for my imation thumbdrv using fdisk on linux with the help of this brilliant guide (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...-x-ubuntu-610/, steps 4-11, 2nd partition is fat16)

after i write the partition table, i got this warning:
WARNING: re-reading the partition table failed with error 16

But the partitions still works fine on linux.

On linux, i can see both partitions. But on winxp, i can only see the first partition.

Winxp cant detect the 2nd partition?

Thanks all :)

You should be using at LEAST FAT32 not FAT16. That is the oldest and most insecure file system out there.

I posted on the double post of this thread. lol. But basically I said what mak did. Windows doesn't play nice with multiple partitions on FAT16. And really, not a whole lot of other OSs will either. If you're going to be using them on Linux and Windows, format it FAT32 for sure. If you want just windows, see if your flash memory is compatible with NTFS.

thx mak and double thx to snake for the double posts :)

I tried fat32 but same result (linux can detect both but winxp can only detect the 1st partition)

I tried 1 primary partition and 1 logical but same thing

Any other possibilities? Partition table?

btw, I am using imation thumbdrv

Why not just use Windows? Go into the Disk Management section and format the drive?

tried

disk management only allows me to create 1 partition

if i create 2 partitions in linux, the 1st one would have a drive letter in winxp but the 2nd one dont have. i try to add a drive letter or format for the 2nd one but i got an error that looks sth like this " the partition cannot be formated as it is not enabled"

I cant delete the partitions too maybe because it is a removable device

Why do you need to partitions on a thumb drive. Almost all Linux distros can use FAT32 or even NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom