Intel guys....opinions on Q6700 vs Q9300

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can take more voltage if you have extreme cooling (or are willing to risk burning up your cpu). On the the 6ghz skulltrail system they were running close to 2.0v on a QX9775.

yeah, but at 2V your cpu wont come for more than a few months, because of the electron displacement caused by the insane voltages, which basically destory the transistors in my CPU.

People have taken my cpu past 3.6Ghz at around 1.28V as well, cos the engineering samples ran on lower voltages (about 1.24 if i remember right)

Update Time. :)

I've been looking around, and taking suggestions from people, and here's what I've chosen so far:

The following "Wish List" is what I'm fairly certain I'm getting so far:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=6112414&WishListTitle=Actual+List

This wish list below is everything that has looked interesting thus far. It includes what is above, plus some other things. That's why there are multiples.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...11914&WishListTitle=Random+Wishlistifications

If something on this list looks better than the ones on the first list, let me know.

I also haven't chosen the RAM for the computer yet. They're not on the First list, but I've put a few different ones on the second. Any of those look good, and which looks best? I've noticed that the timings on the "faster" RAM is higher than the "slower" RAM.

I'm seriously contemplating 8GB of RAM, just because I'm crazy. And, then, I'd run XP x64, and turn off Virtual Memory, possibly.

It's a thought. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it'd only cost about 120$ to get 8GB of RAM using some of those, which is about what I paid 2.5 years ago for 1GB of DDR (1) RAM.

I'm also buying the processor from another website, because I can get it 20$ cheaper there. But, it's on the wish list, so it's able to be seen.

I'm still going to look around for reviews on the things I've chosen.

I don't even know if I need a new PSU. I have an Antec 550 Watt right now.

The OCZ psu you listed is prone to ripples and is not recommended. A Corsair 520hx will provide more than enough power for your system.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

Also this cpu cooler from your second list and thermal paste are better than the ones on your list.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

The OCZ psu you listed is prone to ripples and is not recommended. A Corsair 520hx will provide more than enough power for your system.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

Also this cpu cooler from your second list and thermal paste are better than the ones on your list.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

I have this PSU in my current system, and assuming it was more than adequate, I was thinking about using it:

Newegg.com - Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/ 230 V CB, DEMKO, FCC Class B, FIMKO, EMKO, UL, VDE, TUV - Power Supplies

I've updated my lists with the suggestions.

I chose the other cooler as the one to put on that list because it looked like it was getting slightly lower temps for people, and the price was the same and the rating the same, basically.

They can take more voltage if you have extreme cooling (or are willing to risk burning up your cpu). On the the 6ghz skulltrail system they were running close to 2.0v on a QX9775.

anything can take more voltage if it has extreme cooling though. I know the 65nm won't burn out as fast as the 45nm cpu's.

anything can take more voltage if it has extreme cooling though. I know the 65nm won't burn out as fast as the 45nm cpu's.

Indeed. Thats because the smaller it is, the more delicate the transistors :p

Oh, i've taken my Q9450 to 2.9 so far, no change in temps :p

Im gonna attempt 3 soon enough

list looks good. anyone know how that HS performs against the tuniq? tuniq is 10$ cheaper and a good cooler.

my 9450 should be on on monday, i'll see what temps it shoots off under good water compared to this junk b3 q6600. whats a safe max 24/7 voltage for 9450, 1.4v? im running this q6600 at 1.45 ish to be stable at 3.2. / 1.5 for 3.4. needless to say it stays at 3.2 XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom