New Upgrade Build! (Pics Soon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
hey all,

so im doing an overhaul of my system, and i think im going to just start and order everything later today... i was going to wait until the NZXT Tempest came out, but... im tired of not being able to find one... so later on when i get mine, ill post pics of my new parts in that too... but in the meantime, heres my more or less final list of parts that im going to order off of newegg tonight:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail (*QUAAAD, woot! :D comes with UT3 too :])
$279.99

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (dont wanna deal with the BIOS on the Maximus... so w/e :))
$299.99

SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F ATX 12V 2.01 & EPS 12V 600W Power Supply - Retail (should be enough to run this system, yes?)
$119.99

and then im picking up these too:

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail (good stuff, right?)
$6.99
Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM (to clean up my old chip for sale, and prep this one)
$5.99

well, there it is... that, plus my old 8800GTS and i should be in pretty good shape... and im gonna upgrade that in a couple months (prolly to a 9800GTX), and then summer.... liquid cooling :D
so those are my plans... ill post pics once my parts come in (newegg, so prolly sometime this weekend... gotta love 3-day shipping :happy:) and then once theyre installed... and then new benchmarks when im done... wish me luck! :) - RK

ps, if you have any final, urgent advice on parts before i buy, speak up now or forever hold your peace! haha

The problem with this is that Newegg doesn't do weekend deliveries. =( Its the darn UPS agreement. Not sure if their fed-ex shipping delivers on Saturdays, but if it does, I guess I'll be choosing that anytime I order later than Monday.

buy my corsair 520hx instead :D

and fed-ex ships on saturdays, but not mondays so if you order late in the week its better off to just go UPS. Don't bother with the "cleaning" stuff, just get some isopropyl alcohol, i think like 70% ought to do it, and just clean it with a paper towel.

and yes that psu will power your system fine, and good choice in the thermal paste.

buy my corsair 520hx instead :D

and fed-ex ships on saturdays, but not mondays so if you order late in the week its better off to just go UPS. Don't bother with the "cleaning" stuff, just get some isopropyl alcohol, i think like 70% ought to do it, and just clean it with a paper towel.

and yes that psu will power your system fine, and good choice in the thermal paste.

wait buy 'your' corsair? as in because youre selling yours and wanna get rid of it? or cuz its a better PSU?

hmmm... with the effort it would take to go find specific alcohol like that, ill just grab a bottle of that stuff prolly... w/e tho

and great, its good to hear one more person reaffirm my PSU choice... its about the only thing i had semi-serious doubts over, being such high performance parts and such a relatively low wattage (i was thinking 1000W originally, tho i know 12V rails are more important, still...)
and ya, from what i hear the MX-2 is the best...

thanks alot for the advice/opinions, exactly what i was looking for... keep em coming! :D - RK

nope, it looks like zipzoomfly had the wrong picture up... the rampage still has the same passive heatsinks on its NB as the Maximus Formula... its the Maximus Extreme that has the built-in waterblock... which i hear is pretty crappy, hence why i didnt get it... plus its just too expensive, and much easier/smarter to get your own... but anyways... ya, looks like a case of mislabeling or a wrong picture...

and about the PSU, the main requirement was that it HAD to be modular... in fact, i remember you making fun of how bad my PSU in my current build looked with its cable all a-clutter! (and i pretty much agreed XD) so i wanted to get a better, modular PSU to clean it up a bit... so thanks for the suggestion, buttt... i already ordered anyways! haha...

on that note... parts should get here... idk... wednesday? so pics then... then maybe assembled ones this no later than this weekend... also, please be on the lookout for an NZXT Tempest for me, anyone... i still wanna get one of those as soon as i can for this build... thanks :) - RK

EDIT: i looked more closely at that zipzoomfly pic, and its actually an Asus Striker Extreme shown... lol... it says right on the board... XD

looks pretty good. That should hold u out for a good while. Modular FTW

I'm getting my water cooling this summer also...and a 9900gx2 (or 9900gtx, haven't decided yet.)

whooo! found an NZXT Tempest on Ebay, and actually talked to the seller, so it looks pretty legit... gonna order tonight :]

good news: i found the awesome new case i wanted
bad news: its gonna push my build back because im gonna wait for the case to get here...

oh well tho... pics soon enough! :D - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom