3870 bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
I am probably going to get a ATI 3870 tonight but before I do I figured I'd ask, is my AMD Opteron 185 dual core 2.6GHz gonna be to slow or will it be alright?

It should be fine. It may bottleneck some, but it shouldn't be enough so as you would notice. It will definitely be a big step up from your X1900GT.

Push the Opteron a little bit more (maybe 2.8ghz) and you might not see a bottleneck effect, but who cares, because most games are GPU consuming and you'll see a big jump

ok well I got the 3870... and what would cause it to perform as well if not worse then my 1900GT??? I think the only game I seen an improvement on was The Orange Box.

well if you already got a nice amount of frames on your x1900GT, it might be difficult to notice the improvements.

Get the latest drivers off AMD's site. use fraps and see your average frame rate while playing. Not much you can do after.

Gotta agree with darkside. Odds are it is a driver issue.

It your 1900 was already maxing out a game, a faster card will run it the same.

use fraps and see your average frame rate while playing. Not much you can do after.

Hmm weird, for me fraps will always show a slightly slower frame rate then would occur if i didn't have it on in the background, as in it causes a tiny tiny bit of slow down. Luckily Supreme Commander has it's own FPS thing, press / and it will show you.

so... I'm not going to see much of an improvement until I get a faster cpu? If so, what would be fast enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom