Do I need a new video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x39363440845

Solid State Member
I've had this computer for a little over a year now. Just recently (two days ago) it started freezing up while I was playing WoW. It seemed to me like something was overheating, but all the temps I was reading were fine. The problem progressively got worse and now when I start my pc, I cant get into the BIOS, and when it gets to the point where it should be in windows, all I see is...tetris blocks or something. My mobo doesn't have an on-board vid card so I cant really tell if its my vid card that fried or if it's something else. Any suggestions?

Initial thoughts...

Check the GPU fan, make sure it is running.

Blow out the GPU heatsink.

Possibly the PSU going bad.

Possibly the Card going bad.

Card may need re-seating.

Drivers may be corrupted and thus need to be downloaded and reinstalled.

Initial thoughts...

Check the GPU fan, make sure it is running.

Blow out the GPU heatsink.

Possibly the PSU going bad.

Possibly the Card going bad.

Card may need re-seating.

Drivers may be corrupted and thus need to be downloaded and reinstalled.

The fan runs, I blew out the entire computer. Could be the psu (hope so, it'd be cheaper to replace), and I re-seated the card. Can't see anything on the computer so I can't install new drivers. I can't even get into safemode or bios.

Can you get hold of another monitor to try on the computer to rule out the monitor?

Can you get hold of another monitor to try on the computer to rule out the monitor?

I don't think the monitor is at fault here because the night before it started doing whats in the picture, the computer would freeze up and whatever music I was playing would start skipping. Though I know that this particular model of Sceptre monitors has trouble with their dvi ports, but again I dont think that would cause my computer to freeze.

Do you have access to a different PS? (especially if yours isant a first tier one)

what kind of hardware are you using?

OK Mr. Genius, I tried a different monitor and was actually able to get into safe mode. I deleted my old drivers and it quit doing that zebra stripe tetris blocks thing, but I'm still getting these dots and lines all over my monitor.

My thought is, probably the video card is wacked. What brand is it? You could RMA directly to the company, and they will send you a new one back. Sometimes, depending on the card, you might get lucky, and they send you a slightly better/newer card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom