AMD or INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Which is better...AMD or Intel Processors? AMD has exceptionally high FSB speeds, but Intel's fastest CPU is 10GHz higher than AMD's fastest.

haha, you are very misled, intel's fastest cpu is ONE GHz faster (probably what you meant) than amd's fx-53

but just remember, a processor isn't all ghz

you, my friend, have succumbed to the megahertz myth, the beief that Mhz or Ghz = performance

but it doesnt equal performance; its just a contributing factor

there are a lot factors in a processor :
Frequency (Mhz)
pipeline stages
# on functional units
and the cache design

the first 2 are closely related

the intel pentium 4 features a 20-stage pipeline, while the athlon 64 has a 12-stage. What it means is that because the P4 has more stages, it can run at a higher frequency

But it still has more stages to complete, which is why, say a 3500+ is faster than a 3.0Ghz P4. The AMD only needs 12 steps (hehe) to complete the program, while the P4 needs 20.

So basically :

AMD : 1->2->3->4->5->6->7->8->9->10->11->12
INTEL : 1->2->3->4->5->6->7->8->9->10->11->12->13->14->15->16->17->18->19->20

in a perfect world, the P4 would work 50% faster (because of frequency) than the Athlon, eventually catching up

then again, its not a perfect world - while completing an instruction, little "bubbles" show up in the chain

think of this as shooting a water gun - you shoot a water blast every 1 second, take a break for 1 second, then start shooting again, at the same rate

the "break" is the "bubble" (every processor has this)

when the bubble reaches the 12th or 20th step, its an "empty instruction," and the chain has to start all over again

but this time, the athlon needs only 12 steps, rather than 20 steps required by the intel p4

so the reason the p4 has a bigger frequency is because it has more pipeline stages

WOW, that computer class i took in 7th grade really worked!!

hope you liked my little tutorial

o btw, im not saying that you should get amd . . .

just look at an amd, then look at the corresponding intel (or vice versa) and see which one you want

yup it still your preference..
games - amd
work related - intel
at the end is still your choice.

both intel n AMD has their pro n con
just depend on how u want to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom