New Dell XPS M1330 - Changing Vista to XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsurfer

El Mágico
Hello,

I received my Dell XPS M1330 this Monday (2.4 GHz Core Duo, 3 Gb RAM, LED backlit screen), and spent some time this week migrating my Outlook, installing the basic stuff. I was amazed at the speed, quiet operation, etc., of the system. Suddenly this morning, when I restart, the OS freezes when loading the resident programs, I can run safe mode, which I did, used system restore, but I get the same problem when I restart (when the last programs are loading the circle pointer keeps turning, I can't switch apps, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL. I don't see this as a hardware problem, and I hate Vista anyway, so I've been thinking to change to XP. I've seen that Dell provides the full set of drivers and apps for XP for this computer, but what I am wondering is whether I will run into problems with the SATA driver. On desktops it is usually installed from a floppy. So, the question is, how should I prepare the SATA driver for installing XP after a format of the system drive.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I had no driver problems putting XP on my Dell XPS m1710. XP installs using the bios level drivers. There's no need to press F6. I keep all the latest Dell Vista and XP drivers in a folder on a different partition than the install partition. So I have the drivers available no matter what OS I install.

I just ran the diagnostics utility, and I'm afraid it is a hardware problem after all:

Hard Drive - DST Short Test (Result: Fail)
Error Code 0142
MSG: ERROR CODE 2000 - 0142
MSG: UNIT 1: DRIVE SELF TEST FAILED.
STATUS BYTE = 79

I'm not sure, I think it is. It's a 250 Gb model. Back to Dell it goes I suppose. :(

EDIT: Nope, it's a Western Digital. (WD-WXC308770099)

Western Digital's are no better I see. I'm sticking with Hitachi. My Seagate gave me blue screens when it got hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom