Does this sound like a Recovery CD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It lives!!!!!!!!

I bought a new HD today from the new CompUSA and installed it. I then inserted the recovery disc into the DVD/CD drive and it froze up after loading about 5% :mad: . I then realized that the DVD/CD drive was bad and I had replaced the HD for nothing.

I really didn't want to spend any more money on this old computer. However, my daughter's broken Toshiba Satellite laptop was here with a perfectly good DVD/CD drive. I removed the bad Averatec drive and replaced it with the good Toshiba DVD/CD drive and inserted the recovery disc. Presto! It worked :D: .

I was able to load the XP OS and the computer is now working fine. In fact its working great! Compared to my Compaq with Vista, this machine is smokin'! The only issue that we found is that there is no sound. I've checked everything and I think that something must have happened to the audio/speaker driver :confused: ?

Kurrent, it was you who first mentioned that I might have a bad drive. Obviously you were right!

Uhhhhh, my wife just noticed an actuall "knob" to adjust the volume level. She turned it up and Voila! We've got sound. We both feel stupid but happy that the Averatec is now working 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom