Questionz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue-lynx

In Runtime
1. How much power would be sufficient for a stock Q9300 and a factory OC Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 with 3 gb of ram on an EVGA 780i motherboard?

2. Does it have to be an ATi or Nvidia chipset to support Sli/crossfire for an intel based setup?

3. Is it possible to switch between onboard graphics controller and discrete graphics ? (switch to discrete while gaming only)

4. Does ATI offer any motherboards with onboard graphics for intel processors?

5. Best (durable/stable) high-end graphics board that wont run too hot while gaming on a stock intel cpu and an OC ati 3870/nvidia 9600gt?

6. Whats the difference between the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L and the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R?

I'll keep adding more questions with time :happy:

1. Nothing drastic. I'd suggest the corsair 520hx
2. Ati = crossfire = x38 or p35. Nvidia = SLI = 680/780i. You can sli with amd or intel chips, just have to pick the right motherboard. 680i/780i use intel chips, and i think the 590i is amd. Same idea with crossfire but i dont know any amd socket boards for an example. gigabyte ds4/dq6 and asus maximus formula are intel.
3. Dunno, someone mentioned about that becoming somethign in the future. Like speedstep for GPU's. Don't know about it now. Someone else will have to answer.
4. Dunno?
5 motherboard? i'd suggest an x38 board if you never plan to sli. gigabyte's dq6 or ds4 are good. or the popular asus maximus. great overclockers. if you think you might sli with nvidia cards i'd suggest a good 780i. supposedly good oc'ers too.

1. Above should work

2. Yep, Akubane is right.

3. No.

4. Not anymore. There are still some out there, but Intel has shut ATI(AMD) out right now.

5. Gigabyte's DS3 lines are very popular around here. Rock solid.

Akubane + Trotter's answers seem to be right, except Akubane forgot 750i FTW, and 590i is Intel, and they were crap OC'ers, the normal 590 is AMD, but they don't support Phenom

get the 750i FTW if you want to get a 9600gt for future expansion
get the x38 boards (any of them are considerable Maximus, P5e; any of them) for future expansion with the HD3870

Akubane + Trotter's answers seem to be right, except Akubane forgot 750i FTW, and 590i is Intel, and they were crap OC'ers, the normal 590 is AMD, but they don't support Phenom

get the 750i FTW if you want to get a 9600gt for future expansion
get the x38 boards (any of them are considerable Maximus, P5e; any of them) for future expansion with the HD3870

Whats your view on the 780i by EVGA?

It's a good board. Used it myself. Overclocked my processor easily enough and actually did a better job of it than my previous x38 board as far as overclocking the Q6600. I used the 9600GT with it and it was getting max settings on all games at 1440x900 resolution (all but crysis, which still played at all high settings with 1280x768 resolution).

The chipset will have no bearing on running a single card. An Nvidia chipset can run an ATI card with no problems (I am running one, I should know), and an ATI chipset can run an Nvidia card. The only thing the chipset will matter is if you want to run two cards, and then the chipset will only work for one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom