Problem POSTing new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portland Newb

Baseband Member
Well, I finally got everythign and started assembling. I have an ASUS Maximus Formula MB. I turn everything on and it starts cycling through the messages on the LCD, then it stops on INIT ROM and repeats two short beeps. Just keeps doing that.

I have an e8400 chip, and I know the early BIOS versions on the Maximus had a problem with that chip. Do you think that's the problem, or is it something else. I have an old Pent I could plug in to Flash the BIOS if that is the problem, but the INIT ROM code makes me think it's the memory.

I have Crucial Ballistix 800 2x1g memory - I don't know if it's not recognizing it for some reason. I tried re-seating the memory, but nada.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Hmmm... okay. It's actually now loading Vista. I think.

But it's still constantly beeping two short beeps. At the very least - it's quite annoying.

Ha ha - okay, turns out it's my stupid fan controller. Not sure what it's trying to tell me, but it's getting unplugged for now.

Look in your motherboard manual for a list of beep codes and their significance. Could be a failed fan. Could be very important if that fan ends up being the CPU fan and your system overheats.

Thanks - no, I mean my external Zalman fan controller. I have my CPU fan hooked up and I confirmed that it's spinning. The controller has spots for 4 fans, and I only have one hooked up to it - so 3 fans show as 0 RPM. I thinks that's the reason it's beeping.

I finished getting Vista loaded last night and everything looks good. My very first build and I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the great input from this board. I even lapped my HSF (though didn't have the guts to lap the CPU).

Now I just need to do some wire management.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom