External harddrive Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast1917

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

i recently took my external harddrive (hitachi 320gb) to a friends house, where it was accidently dropped approximately 1.2m from a table to a wooden floor (when it was turned on and running). it seemed fine for the next 3-4 days, then this morning it had trouble turning on. (i.e. i had to flick the switch a few times and disconnect and reconnect the power cable). So i decided i'd back up all my files just in case this was a sign of a failing harddrive, as it was dropped. Thing is, while copying my files onto the computer, several (around 3-4 so far) has had CRC errors and i couldnt copy em.

What could this mean? should i just backup all the files i can (those not affected by the CRC error), reformat the harddrive, and keep using it? or should i buy a new one in case it suddenly goes dead?

cheers all.

I would back up for sure. From there i would be weary of use with it. Try it out with some things you are not afraid to lose. But i would buy a new one as this one doesnt sound all that great. Sounds like it is heading for the big PC repair shop in the sky.

thanks for all the help guys, ive found several more of my files corrupted with the CRC error :(. ill backup what i can salvage and get a new one. thanks again.

Hey enthusiast1917,
It would be better, if you get back up contents from the hard drive that you dropped down.Buying a new harddisk may prevent you from the data loss.
get start check your hard disk issues or problems with damaged hard disk. do your doubtful issues on that hard disk and get the result from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom