PSU Trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipip

Beta member
Hey guys! :)

I just bought a new PSU (OCZ StealthXStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm LED Fan - Ebuyer) but I've had some problems trying to make it work! :(

Everything went well enough. I could connect everything to how it was, but then I noticed something. I got to the main power supply connector...thingy (yes I'm knew to all this! sorry for my lack of detail :D)

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/5405/52367407cc7.jpg
The highlighted red square is all that my PSU fits into it. It fits in fine, but then there's the 4 other square...things..pins I think they're called? I don't know! :p

NOTE: This isn't my mobo, it's just one I found on Google, but I couldn't explain it in words and I don't have a good enough camera to take a clear picture of my own mobo :(

Any way, after I had connected everything a green light came onto the motherboard. I presume this means the PSU is feeding power to the mobo, but when I actually try and turn on the computer nothing will happen. Not even the fan spins. :\ I'm currently using my old PSU again to post this message (400w).

So, would I be right in saying this can't possibly work because the PSU doesn't have enough pins or whatever to fit into the mobo?
have I just wasted £60? :|

Sorry if I've not said enough to explain whats happening, but I'll try and answer your questions as best I can :) (if you guys can try to help :D)

Thank you! :)

If I'm looking at your power supply correctly you main plug is universal for older ATX boards that had 20 pins. Your board is newer and has a 24 pin main( for pci exopress). Your power supply has 20/24 pin main where a 4pin section is detachable. You should have a 4pin plug that looks like the 20 that will fill that space.

If I'm looking at your power supply correctly you main plug is universal for older ATX boards that had 20 pins. Your board is newer and has a 24 pin main( for pci exopress). Your power supply has 20/24 pin main where a 4pin section is detachable. You should have a 4pin plug that looks like the 20 that will fill that space.

Thanks for the reply!

I do in fact have 2 4pin plugs (ooh, I'm learning ^_^). One has CPU1 written on it, the other CPU2. Would they be it? :)

cpu1 and 2 are not the 4 pins you rlooking for to add to the main mobo connection they go in the holes in the pink square, if there are only 4 of them just put one in, if there are eight connect them together and hook them in there, you main power connector should have a small 4 pin connecor attached to it connect them togher and plug in the main power

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8864/moboeb5.jpg

you should be able to find all this in your motherbaord and power supply manual

There should be a 4-pin detachable section that is right next to the main 20-pin connector.

RT-20+4.jpg

Yep! That was the answer all along hehe. I was putting the 4-pin where the CPU1 pin was supposed to go. :p

Changing the PSU also stopped my speakers from making the annoying buzzing noise it's been doing for over a year too!

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom