TRUE running at 48C idle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So got my TRUE up and running....when I first got it I was still using the Antec 900, was a bit peeved I couldn't mount it rear facing as I wanted the cross draft from font to back...but since I was switching to the cosmos 100 which doesn't have front intake the bottom to top air flow was ok and is how its mounted now.

First in with no fan temps at idle were 48C!!!! Re-applied the paste and a fan and now idle is 24C. Temps taken from bios.

Some quick questions:

1) was that 48C normal for no fan? Heatsink was hot to the touch!

2) Since the paste is fresh again should i give it some cure time before overclocking? Or is it good to go out of the tube.

What thermal paste?
How much and in what manner was it applied?
What is room ambient temparture.

48C idle is not normal.

Go ahead and lap the IHS and heatsink base.

im hitting about 50 idle on my quad with a afp7 with a fan. Gah. My room is hotter than **** though. Im guna grab a true once i get my afp7 sold tho. Its not good when your room is 80 degrees !

TRUEs are known for terribly crooked and uneven bases... I know because I have one, and it was ridiculously convex, I should've given Thermalright a call and ask not only for a replacement, but also credit for 6 TRUEs because the workmanship was so utterly disgusting. Took me a few hours in all, I had to use 125 grit sandpaper for almost an hour just to get the initial flattening done, it was brutal

so get a flat razer blade from a shaver, or something you can absoluteley trust being 100% flat/straight, put it on top of the base and shine a light from the back, bring it to eye level, if you see cracks of light, then it's uneven

contact is key

do the same test on your chip too

my TRUE looked something like this: http://cryo-laboratory.com/upload/userfiles/rhino56/thermalright/heatsinkflatness1.jpg

but the spacing was much much wider than that, it was real bad, I wish I took pictures, I could even see these 1mm thick circular sanding lines, like this: http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9039/roughjh8.jpg but twice as thick, I got a real bad one

Mine is sitting around 44ish idle at 3.6ghz but thats because its like 75F in my apt. During the winter when it sits at 60F, i idle at around 35C. Why couldnt you mount it verticle. I had no issues mounting my TRUE verticle or horizontal in my 900.

Yeah, definitly didn't seem normal to me at 48C at idle.

I applied a grain like amount of MX-2 to the middle of the cpu and then placed the TRUE on top of it squishing it out. Room temp is cool, is a basement office.

Anyways, second application seems to have gone better now is consistantly at 24ish at idle. Core 1 at 22 and core 2 at 26.

I plan on lapping, I didn't check how flat it was but I can feel the small ridges if I run my fingernail accross it. I just want to do a OC before the lapping and then again after to see the difference.

[edit]

Mine is sitting around 44ish idle at 3.6ghz but thats because its like 75F in my apt. During the winter when it sits at 60F, i idle at around 35C. Why couldnt you mount it verticle. I had no issues mounting my TRUE verticle or horizontal in my 900.

I could be wrong but I think with the on AMD AM2 cpu set you can only face the TRUE in one of two dirrections depending on how the mount was build into the mobo, mine can only face up or down unless i do some serious modding on the mounting bracket. Take a look at this mobo on the close up shot, if you line the holes up its a rectangle, not a square so you can't just flip the mounting bracket any way you want, only goes on one of two ways:

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G mATX AM2+ 1PCI-EX 2PCI SATA W/RAID Video Sound GLAN 1394 Motherboard - GA-MA78GM-S2H In Canada.

Atleast that's how i see it unless i didn't read the assembly instructions correctly and there is another way to mount it horizontally.

Check this site out, you'll see the AM2 mounting bracket part way down in Step 3

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex/installation_cpu_cooler_u120ex.html

Note that the holes on the bracket for a rectangle so only goes on one of two ways...[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom