Did i just?

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
fry my pc?

While i know this is stupid, I noticed one of my fans were disconnected while the system was rebooting, i went to plug in the module cables back together and a short shock went through the connections and the pc shut down. Did i fry my motherboard and psu? how can i tell?

One should never plug something in or unplug something while computer is on.

Power supply most likely shut off for protection reasons.

Why? Does it not turn on now?

Editing, The physical powersupply was dimming and losing power(if that's possible). Once before it went completely out, the machine just flickered off and booted back up, i suspected it being the psu then, now, the ATX is plugged in to the motherboard, a green light comes on, but the power supply isn't turning on. there is a possibility that I fried just the psu and not the mobo? I don't have an extra psu(iam going to buy two more when i get the chance now) but i do have an extra mobo which needs a processor, guess i'm buying both now.

One should never plug something in or unplug something while computer is on.

Power supply most likely shut off for protection reasons.

Why? Does it not turn on now?

i learned that the hard way, i was pullin a cd drive out, drive came out fine but i bumped the flopy power cable and sparks flew, good thing it was on a pc i got for free but no damage was done

try using a different power supply if you got one or just connect the on cables together in the atx connecor if psu comes on it might be a problem w/ your mobo

techPowerUp! :: How do I manually turn on an ATX power supply?

i learned that the hard way, i was pullin a cd drive out, drive came out fine but i bumped the flopy power cable and sparks flew, good thing it was on a pc i got for free but no damage was done

try using a different power supply if you got one or just connect the on cables together in the atx connecor if psu comes on it might be a problem w/ your mobo

techPowerUp! :: How do I manually turn on an ATX power supply?

Good 'ol paperclip trick :D. Just make sure you have like a CD drive or a fan or something hooked up to it so you can test it.

Good 'ol paperclip trick :D. Just make sure you have like a CD drive or a fan or something hooked up to it so you can test it.

Going to try this trick in a few, at worst i'm looking at the motherboard completely useless an possibly the hard drive?(say it ain't so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom