Help choosing a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDRoX

In Runtime
I need advice picking a video card. Right now I am using the "onboard":confused: one that came with my HP Pavilion. I think that's what it's called.
I would like something a little better. I don't really play games, but I would like the option to maybe try one or two possibly.
I have done some research and found this one:
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Is this a decent card? Can I hook it up to my HDTV or two monitors at once?

I would like to spend around $100, but I can't find anything in that range, so I guess I have to spend a little extra.

So, how's this card, and is there any others I should be considering?
Thanks

hmmm if you got a pre-built HP comp the power supply may not be enough for a new graphics card and also with some companies their computers really aren't upgrade friendly.

I dobn;t know enough about their pre.built systems, im sure someone here will be help to help you more, but i bet the PSU will be a problem regardless.

I already replaced the PSU. It had a 250w and I put in a 430w.
I also already replaced the e2200 with a q6600.

A 8800GS will be a massive improvement from the onboard video you are currently using. I have that same card and am very happy with it. It has 2 DVI ports (2 vga adapters included) and a component video output so you should not have a problem running two monitors or hooking up your hdtv. It is about 9 inches long so you may want to make sure your case has enough room.

This one is a good card I hear. It's what I'll be purchasing soon. :D
It's twice what you were wanting to pay, but it's worth it. It can play the newest PC games on at least medium settings if you have sufficient RAM.
XFX PVT94PYDSU GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Dual moniters and it's HDTV ready. Even comes with an adaptor for an HDTV.
The only thing I'm unsure about is your PSU. The card only needs 400 watts, so I think it'll be fine. But I'm not too sure, somebody else should clarify.

The card you picked out can use dual moniters AND hdtv also. It's all about how well you want to play video games.

even though you have upgraded to a 430w psu you may still not be able to run the video card of your choice. it all comes down to the amps on the 12v rails on the psu. and since you have made the transition from a dual to a q6600 already, and 430w might be pushing it depending on the amperage.

also i would not go for a 9600gt, when you could pay a lil extra and get ur self a much faster 8800gt.

as for the 8800gs, as vernong said its only good for its price range.

This one is a good card I hear. It's what I'll be purchasing soon. :D
It's twice what you were wanting to pay, but it's worth it. It can play the newest PC games on at least medium settings if you have sufficient RAM.
XFX PVT94PYDSU GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Dual moniters and it's HDTV ready. Even comes with an adaptor for an HDTV.
The only thing I'm unsure about is your PSU. The card only needs 400 watts, so I think it'll be fine. But I'm not too sure, somebody else should clarify.

The card you picked out can use dual moniters AND hdtv also. It's all about how well you want to play video games.

That card is not a good buy at that price because you can get an 8800gt 512mb for less than that 9600gt costs. Since he does not plan on doing that much gaming there is no reason to spend that much more for a moderate increase in performance.

That card is not a good buy at that price because you can get an 8800gt 512mb for less than that 9600gt costs. Since he does not plan on doing that much gaming there is no reason to spend that much more for a moderate increase in performance.

The reason it costs so much is because it comes with call of duty 4.

To the op:

There plenty of decent cards under $100. If you dont really play games, a sub $100 card will still let you play them, just not at the high settings and resolutions we game at.

it would be better to get a cheaper card, and try some games out at the lower settings. If you like them, get a better card to play at higher settings. If not, oh well...just keep the card.

Actually, I believe it's that much because the core clock is 740MHz. (Anyway, it's only $180 after the rebate)
>_>
Meh, I might be wrong though.

I'm also debating which GPU to buy. It's a toss up between the 9600GT and the 8800GT.
For only a little bit more I could buy the 8800GT, so is it worth it? I hear everyone saying to buy a 9600gt instead.

MSI NX8800GT~$205 ($175 after rebate).
or one of these?
PALiT 9600GT Sonic (I want to be able to connect my PC to a tv, or HDTV. Will this one connect to tv/HDTV?)
or the EVGA 9600GT

I'm looking for the fastest card for the $150-$200 price range.
I'd like to play Crysis and CoD4 on highest settings possible.
I play on a 19" moniter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom