Mobo Help Thread # 4,583,501

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabak80

Baseband Member
I'm going to be buying a new E2180 to replace my old P4 3.0 (Quick non-mobo question, I was going to go with the 2180 over the 2200 since I was going to OC both of them to 2.8ish, so I would just save $10 with the E2180, right?)

Ok, since I will not be looking to upgrade in 1.5-2 years from my new E2180 rig, what is the best choice for me. I will be donating the entire rig to charity in 2 years, so upgradeability (is that a word) doesn't matter to me, only that I can squeeze as much out of the E2180 as possible.

So, here they are:

1: Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5KPL-VM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

2: Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5B-MX LGA 775 Intel 946GZ Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

3: Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5S-MX SE LGA 775 SiS 671FX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Since it is disposable, I am looking under $50. Which one would be best?

The one with the G31 chipset will overclock well. Do not go for the 946 board as it will not overclock well at all. So, you really want an ASUS board? I'd grab a Gigabyte board for reliability's sake.

ASUS's been awesome to me, i have a Max FSB of 550ish so even a 7x multiplier cpu like my e6550 could get some nice clocks.

Its most recommend getting a p35/p31 chipset. The onboard video gets in the way of overclocking.

Newegg.com - Open Box: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

but if you need onboard video, get the nvidia 7x chipsets or a G35 the least. a Fast proccesor is useless without a good videocard.(In games anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom