9800GTX or 8800GT step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation is that 10nm is as small as possible with current technology.

If we ever reach that using the current fab process I'm going to be shocked. I've heard from both my teacher (PhD in Physics) and my friends father (Mobo testing guy at Intel, Quantum Physics nut) that we're going to have a tough time even getting passed 32nm, let alone anything smaller.

From my understanding, the problem is atoms. Theirs a big gap between the inner most shell of electrons and the nucleus. If it were possible to somehow (I'm FAR from a chemistry guy) shrink the space, or "move" the orbit of the electrons closer to the middle, we'd be able to go smaller. Apparently Atom's have their own physics laws that I know absolutely nothing about. Maybe someone on here that knows this stuff can elaborate? Again, I don't know much about the subject, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

On the gas subject- It sucks. We're about $3.60 or so around here. Diesel's WAY over $4. I have NO idea how the **** that's even possible. I've only taken one Econ class that covered micro and macro, so I don't know a ton about why it's so spendy still. The oil companies CEO's must be rich beyond belief. Those buttheads are making a KILLING off of something we need. I hate teh fact I have to drive over 100miles in total every two days. I wish I was able to ride my bike. I hate giving them my money. It's not fair at all. Money isn't a problem for me, I just hate giving those evil pricks my money.

Especially considering the oil is coming from a place where WE shouldn't have been in the first place.

If it were possible to somehow (I'm FAR from a chemistry guy) shrink the space, or "move" the orbit of the electrons closer to the middle, we'd be able to go smaller.

No doesn't really work that way, I don't think. The Electron 'orbits' are fixed at certain energy levels. They either exist there or don't, its a discrete thing. Well, thats my memory of it! Probably blind leading the blind but hey.

As for the petrol tax, I think we pay about 60p per litre in the UK(about $4.30 per USG- about 50% of the total cost per litre), whereas you guys, perhaps 5-10p per litre (maybe 75 cents per USG). Even if that seems expensive to you now, thats well below the expected petrol 'cost' (in terms of climate change, global warming, emissions health damage, general negative externalities, and also in terms of road usage and congestion costs, although road tax should pay for that). People suggest that ~25p per litre is more reasonable. In the US and canada, you actually pay a lot less than most other places, so I will admit to being surprised to find people complaining about it being too expensive.

All this talk of atoms just kinda clued me in to the actual sizes of things. ^^ never really put any thought into there bing a limit to how small XD It's pretty bad when atoms are too big >.>

i hate gallons lol. had to use google for conversion. paying 4.60$US per gallon here in canada, and im on the cheap end of the country. I expect it to hit 5.50 by fall.
And it is expensive, when youre used to paying 2.00-2.50$ :S I wanted a truck but at 100+$ a week just for gas I couldn't get one XD oh well, new car is easier on emissions anyhow. Just can't take it through the woods. ; ;

I see some of you are talking about gas or petrol on this thread. This is a direct violation of this forum's rules. Please post comments pertaining to the economy in the politics/economy section of these forums.

Thanks,

SomeBhitch

Note: Your posts will be deleted immediately

^ Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom