DVD Playback - No Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I'm encountering problems playing back DVDs on my laptop in both my Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 Beta) installs. In Linux, it simply will not read the disc (I have the codecs). In Windows, it plays the DVD video part, but without audio. It plays back most other media formats fine (all the ones I've tried). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE channel the player is on and made sure it was set on DMA mode. Right now, it says "Multi-Word DMA Mode 2" which seems odd, but it repeatedly enters that mode. It's sort of annoying. Any advice?

Tried VLC, Windows Media Player 11, and some proprietary software that came on a few discs. It's not just one disc either - as far as I can tell, it's all of them.

EDIT: Added Windows version.

Which version of Windows? For XP WMP 10 is the one to go with seeing all kinds of support for dvd playback and various video file types as well. In Vista you are "encouraged" by MS to buy a 3rd party player like Roxio's Media Player or Cyberlink's PowerDVD in order to play dvds.

You can try all players but if the software/drivers for a sound card or onboard if used are not on fully that would be one thing to consider.

Well for Ubuntu i would say wait till tomorrow. 8.04 is going final. So you can get support for it.

In XP get codecs. KLite, CCCP, AC3Filter or Vista Codec Pack (yes it runs on XP). That should solve your sound issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom