PCIE x16 card in x1 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
brings about the question tho... what to put in the 1x spot

There are some cards designed for the 1x slots now. Just few and far between. It is better to just get the PCI versions as it is more cost effective.

Also you do not need SLi or Crossfire to do dual monitor. I ran a 6800 with Dual Monitors and i do it with my 8600 now. Just need dual ports on the card.

True, but i would like to run dual monitors and keep my GTS SLI... Forceware doesnt support dual montitors in SLI

I heard a rumour somewhere that nvidia are planning to enable multimonitor SLI - is that a load of rubbish or is it true?

I have seen Multi Montior setup in SLi. They added that option to the driver and nVidia control panel not long ago. Unless that was a hack job or on Vista. But i know i have seen people with SLi run Multi Montors.

It was a hack job, its not currently supported in the drivers. I ran SLI with an ATI card for the 2nd monitor, but vista doesnt want to let me do this.

so your sayin you could have 2 different models of GPU in there like a 6600 and a 8600 in your PC and you could plug one monitor into each? but idk why'd you do that you have a 8600 but my question is it would work? but it'd have to be out of SLI though.

how does your OS recognize the 2 cards?

brings about the question tho... what to put in the 1x spot

32-Bit PCI still seems to be the more common thing out there. However there are PCI Express devices coming out into the market.

Creatives X-Fi Extreme Music Sound Card (OEM) come in both PCI and PCI-Express. The funny thing is that it $10 cheaper to get the PCI-Express.

Adaptec jumped on the PCI-Express bus 2 - 3 year back with SATA and SCSI controller cards.

Various other I/O Cards (Firewire/USB/Parralle/Serial) are coming out in PCI Express.

I think it's D-Link that has started doing PCI-Express WiFi Cards.

nVidia Quadro cards come as PCI Express x1 as they don't use the x16 bandwidth.

My co-worker purchased a PCI-Express video capture card for his HTPC.

I predict that in
3 Years time, PCI Express will become more mainstream.
3 to 5 years time, new 32 Bit PCI Devices will be phased out.
5 to 10 years time, 32-Bit PCI Slots will be completely removed from new motherboards. However in the mean time, you will be seeing less and less 32-bit PCI slots. In the last few years new motherboard will only have 1 32-Bit PCI slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom