Duo vs. Quad vs. Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Daemon Poster
im thinking of buying the hardware for my new rig in may but still dont know which processor to pick. anyona can help? i saw an extreme edition processor for 450 dont know if it worth the money between it and a locked processor

unless you're doing extreme processing and are fsb limited, then don't get an extreme.

also what are you going to be doing with your cpu. i would recommend a q6600 if you want quad, or a e8400 if you want speed.

unless you're doing extreme processing and are fsb limited, then don't get an extreme.

also what are you going to be doing with your cpu. i would recommend a q6600 if you want quad, or a e8400 if you want speed.

the first sentence doesnt make sense. if im doing extreme processing, why should i go with an extreme. what is fsb limited? what do u mean by speed?

get a quad q6600. No questions asked :)

how about q6700 and q9450?

You can always add speed to a CPU, but you cant add extra cores :D

but y do you need more cores when u have already 4 and they arent fully used right now

EDIT: what stuff is extreme processing like applications, etc....

My 4 cores all get used. Most new games coming out use at least 2, and you can force most games to use all 4. Also, having a quad core allows you to play a game, listen to streaming music, use a voice client, keep an instant messenger open, etc etc, without affecting the games performance. The 6700 is an option now that the prices have come down, but the 9450 is still going to run into issues with hitting the FSB wall, and costs 33% more than the q6600 without an equal increase in performance.

My q6600 runs at a 50% overclock for daily use, and i can push it as high as 4ghz for benchmarking.

4 cores can be used, once you get a quad yoou will come to realsie you use them, also you can over clock them to 3.6ghz easy, with a descent hs/f. q6600 is the cheapest quad out, and will oc as far as the q6700. also i doubt youl be fsb limited if ur buying an extreme cpu, also was teh extreme duo or quad.

4 cores can be used, once you get a quad yoou will come to realsie you use them, also you can over clock them to 3.6ghz easy, with a descent hs/f. q6600 is the cheapest quad out, and will oc as far as the q6700. also i doubt youl be fsb limited if ur buying an extreme cpu, also was teh extreme duo or quad.

so ur saying that the Q6600 and Q6700 will overclock the same speed? the cheapest extreme processor was the QX6700 for 450 i think it is a quad but it was wierd that the X6800 was more expensive

yeah my b on the first sentance. i wasn't paying much attention to what i was typing. what i meant was unless you're doing extreme overclocking you don't need a qx series. just get a quad and call it a day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom