G0 Revision Q6600? Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3kk0

In Runtime
I'm buying the Intel Q6600 for my new PC I'm building, but I notice the q6600 from NewEgg doesn't have g0 stepping, rather b3.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Can you correct me if I'm wrong? I see the q6600 at Frys is only $199. Does that processor g0 step?
Also, is g0 stepping all that important?

I'm a noob at building computers, I'm only building my first one right now, so don't jump on me. I want to know all I can before buying anything...
Thanks in advance for your help! :D

Re: G0 stepping Q6600? Help...

G0 revision*, depends if you want to overclock or not. B3 chips tend to have a higher VID (mines 1.3, not good) requiring more voltage to hold a stable clock. Most also run much hotter than the G0 counterpart.
They're both the same speed, its just the G0 tends to overclock farther and easier due to lower voltage requirements (usually) and lower heat output.

Hmmm, I guess I do need the G0 stepping then. I plan to overclock my PC eventually, so I want to be prepared. Where should or can I buy a G0 step Q6600?

I bought a q6600 from Frys.com last week and it was g0. But it also said g0 in the description on-line. It was also $179.99. So that's very weird that they upped the cost and changed the description.

I forgot to mention that my q6600 runs under 30 degrees at idle. It's usually chills in the low to mid 20's.
It is not overclocked.

I remember that, and I was going to buy one then too. But I didn't have the money yet, so I had to wait. I should be able to purchase everything this Saturday.
I hope I can buy everything before the 30th so I don't lose all the nice rebates at NewEgg. =S

Are all these rebates going on at NewEgg annual? Or are there savings year round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom