790i Ultra Board vs 780i

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Since my 680i is dead/dying from a stupid 1000 mile trip I'm going to get a new mobo soon. It's between the 780 and 790. Is it really worth getting the 790? Also have DDR2 ram. I would assume DDR3 isn't backwards compatible. What other advantages and disadvantages are there? My specs are in my sig.

Randy

Re: 790i Ultra Board

Since my 680i is dead/dying from a stupid 1000 mile trip I'm going to get a new mobo soon. It's between the 780 and 790. Is it really worth getting the 790? Also have DDR2 ram. I would assume DDR3 isn't backwards compatible. What other advantages and disadvantages are there? My specs are in my sig.

Randy

You're choosing between cash-friendly and future friendly.

Which do you prefer?

Re: 790i Ultra Board

You're choosing between cash-friendly and future friendly.

Which do you prefer?

True, but I think it's jumping pretty far into the future not knowing if what is set will be the future. Hah, but buying more ram is a pain too.

well ddr3 doesn't offer much performance boost over ddr2 (less then 10% but 10 times the cost) also ddr3 won't be the new standard for another 1.5-2 years. so since you already have ddr2 then a 780i mobo would be the better choice.

that was an exageration, and i don't really see the point in getting 1333 any way. If your going to go ddr3 you should get higher.

I really doubt ddr3 will be the standard any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom