ram/ processor upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

generalaxes

In Runtime
im sure its been asked before but ill ask anyway. i have a hp dv9000. what do i need to know and do to upgrade from 1gb of ram, to much more. and my intel centrino duo to whatever is recommended? and of course is it worth it?

RAM: find out what type is currently in there/what type your notebook supports.

CPU: you won't be able to replace this, most likely.

Go to Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

That will scan your system and tell you the best combo for the best performance for you system.

The CPU in a laptop you wont be able to replace easily. Not unless you wish to rip the whole laptop apart.
so according to the scan my laptop can only support 2048mb. i have 1gb now, but with this processor and Xp how much faster will my computer even get (more of less)??

It will be a bit faster. But unless you do a lot of heavy graphics work or things that require a lot of resources the upgrade wont help you that much.

Eh crucial says my computer can take a max of 2GB of RAM, however I installed a 2 GB stick and it now recognizes 3GB. Depending on how old it is/processor it may take more than what Crucial says.

I have not known Crucial to be wrong. Are you sure you looked at the Max yoru Mobo could take?

well i double checked and even though it says that my notebook can only take 2gbs ill see if ill be as lucky as joshsb. so what exactly would i have to do to replace my processor other than find one that my motherboard will support? when you say rip...??

Well first you would rip apart the whole laptop as the CPU is in the middle of it all. After you got it all apart, if you didnt damage or break any of the ribbon cables, you would then get the CPU out and replace it.

That is if the laptop manufacturer allows for this type of thing and didnt make sure that the CPU wasnt soldered in place or anything like that.

this is enraging! :mad: i went ahead and let crucial scan my system rather than ask it what i can have. its telling me that i currently have two total slots (i knew that) but i only have 512 in each and its going to cost me 45 to put a gig in each which is worth it crucial has free shipping over 40 right now :) well with this revelation im going to continue to relearn everything i "knew" about computers and i probably wont be so concerned with replacing my processor now. ill just save up for that vaio i want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom