Need help modifying an old HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDRoX

In Runtime
I would love to learn how to overclock. I have an old HP Pavilion a384x desktop and would like to modify it.

Here is what it has:
2.08 ghz AMD Athlon XP processor
512 MB PC 2700 memory
80GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
CD-RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX graphics with 64MB DDR SDRAM video memory and TV out

I also have a new Dual-Core e2200 CPU.

My plan is to buy a new MB that will accept the e2200 and replace the MB in my desktop.

Will this work? Can I just pull out the AMD motherboard and replace it? Will Windows XP still be there? And will my HDD still have everything that was on it? Are MB's from AMD to Intel swap-able?

If possible I assume all I will have to buy is a new MB and some RAM.

Will someone please tell me if this plan will work. And if yes, can someone recommend a cheap MB (<$100), that will take an e2200 and will be highly clockable.

Thanks for the help.

If the parts of the computer are from HP they may not work in computers that are not HP...

I would love to learn how to overclock. I have an old HP Pavilion a384x desktop and would like to modify it.

Here is what it has:
2.08 ghz AMD Athlon XP processor
512 MB PC 2700 memory
80GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
CD-RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX graphics with 64MB DDR SDRAM video memory and TV out

I also have a new Dual-Core e2200 CPU.

My plan is to buy a new MB that will accept the e2200 and replace the MB in my desktop.

Will this work? Can I just pull out the AMD motherboard and replace it? Will Windows XP still be there? And will my HDD still have everything that was on it? Are MB's from AMD to Intel swap-able?

If possible I assume all I will have to buy is a new MB and some RAM.

Will someone please tell me if this plan will work. And if yes, can someone recommend a cheap MB (<$100), that will take an e2200 and will be highly clockable.

Thanks for the help.

You can't do that, because most Manufacturers use different Power supply types (with old stuff, like your PC)

I recommend you start clean with a new rig

Can't overclock on branded PCs.
Can't buy new mobo as it might conflict with existing PSU.
Holes might not match.

I had an HP stock from last year I upgraded right out of the box... the mobo even had a spare PCI-E...

the only thing you might encounter is a proprietary motherboard form factor which thus renders the case useless for an upgraded motherboard

dell was known for proprietary PSU's, mobos and ram... but they stopped recently

I had an HP stock from last year I upgraded right out of the box... the mobo even had a spare PCI-E...

the only thing you might encounter is a proprietary motherboard form factor which thus renders the case useless for an upgraded motherboard

dell was known for proprietary PSU's, mobos and ram... but they stopped recently

They did? How do you know this? lol, I need to get my hands on a Dell to check it out.

there was an article in maximum pc i believe. it was in one of my mags about it. but yeh i'm glad.

also the e2200 is a great cpu, i would reccomend an abit ip35 board, or a gigabyte p35-ds3l/ds3r for a board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom