Vista Ultimate 64 Bit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
I have a few friends who have been raving about how amazing Vista Ultimate 64 bit is. They claim that they love DX10, that everything runs great on their PCs, they have had no problems with vista, blah blah blah. So they finally talked me into buying it.Let me just say that the past 36 hours have been the most tiring, difficult, and frustrating hours of my life.

I bought an OEM version of Vista Ultimate 64 bit, went home, and attempted to install it. Before I go any further let me list my main PC components.

Stock Intel Q6600
4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800.
8800 GTS (G92) 512mb
Abit IN9 32X-Max

As you can see, I more than meet the requirements for Vista.

First, I tried to install Vista. I kept getting blue screens after the first part of the installation. I took out two of my sticks of RAM, and solved that problem.

Windows boots and will not use the web service to find drivers for any of my components. So I went online and found them manually. No problem.

Next comes windows updates. OMG! It took upwards of 12 hours to download and install all of the updates (most of which failed.) Then I discovered that service pack wasn't installed automatically and had to manually download and install that.

I install most of my programs, make sure all video and sound drivers are up to date and begin to install a few games.

Crysis gets done installing, I patch up to the newest patch and hotfix, and I test out the mighty DX10! Bleh....It hardly looks any better than DX9, and runs at half the frames that DX9 does. At least it runs well, and I have no problems.

I get done installing Day of Defeat: Source and Counter Strike: Source so I boot up DoD:S and play for about 15 minutes before my game starts to lag, really badly. I change servers about 5-10 times and check my brother's computer to make sure it's not the servers or my internet connection. It's not. Then DoD starts crashing for no apparent reason when maps change.
I decided to boot up CS to check and see if it's all the games running on the HL2 engine. Yep, the HL2 engine runs fine for about 15 minutes before something not good happens, and the game begins to slow down and stutter making playing all but impossible.

I give my buddy a call and he says that he had the same problem and it was because his DirectX was out of date, and that I should update mine. Okay, so I update my DirectX and have to restart my computer. My computer restarts and locks up before the sidebar can load.....strange...I hit the reset button and when windows boots back up it happens again. I tried several more times with no luck. I boot vista in safe mode and try a system restore...the system restore locks up and won't restore back to my old settings.

That takes me up to about 6-7 hours ago. I have re-installed XP and am currently re-installing all of my programs and games.

I posted this, not just because I need to vent my anger, but also to see if any of you have any insight into what might be going on here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I move in less than a week and don't feel like installing another OS before that, so I will have to wait to try your suggestions until I have moved into my new house, but I would like to eventually upgrade to vista, even if it's not for a few months.

Well if SP1 was not available thru Windows updates that means that there are drivers on your system that WILL cause issues once you install it. This is something Microsoft implemented so that people who had incompatible driver/software would be forced to check their system and get updated materials from the manufacturer's before they installed.

That is where part of hte problem is. Forcign the SP to install most likely created more issues for you.

Also with the Install a little seach would have shown that VIsta does not like to be installed with 4GB. It has been posted many times across the web. ;)

So iw oudl make sure that 1. You format the drive with a 3rd party app like GParted. Vista only does a Quick format to get rid of data and that can cause issues. I know i am going thru it now.

2. After you get your drivers and that updated go to the Microsoft site. They have a advisor there lettign you know which things are not compatible with SP1 so that you can find updates to them. That should help resvole many of your issues.

Vista actually destroyed one portion of my first HD when I tried to partition the drive on the first install...I was forced to use a brand new HD to install vista, so I know that it wasn't an issue with the quick format.

For the last suggestion...do you have a link? My friend told me about that feature of the site, but I was unable to locate it after spending 30+ minutes searching for it on both google and the site.

I will try to find it tonight for you. Did you have at least 20Gb of space on the partition? That is a requirement for Vista.

Honestly that is the first i have heard of Vista destroying a partition setup since the Beta stages....

Odd, I just got a Vista Ultimate 64 laptop (hp dv9700t) and it's really pretty good. Up until now, I've hated Vista (horrible experience with Home Premium 32 on my parents' computer, but that was when Vista first came out). My new laptop already had SP1 and drivers installed, and all my software installed easily. As for Half-Life 2 (Source Engine Games in general), it runs very well, all settings maxed at 1680x1050. I'm not sure why you're having problems, because it works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom