I would like to know something please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
This Notebook

I just bought that notebook, arrives on Monday morning.....

I would like to upgrade the memory on it in the future to speed it up abit, and was confused by the fact that it says it uses DDR266 SDRAM..... A quick search on newegg though list only 200pin DDR SO-DIMM, DDR Micro S0-DIMM and 144pin SDRAM SO-DIMM......

I assume that my notebook will use the first choise 200 pin DDR, but what does the SO-DIMM mean, and what is Micro SO-DIMM?:confused:

Another question I have is if I get faster memory, say DDR333 or DDR400, would that reduce my battery life?:confused:

Yep, anything faster, such as CPU or grpahics will need more power, thus reduce battery life. Cant answer the first part. I just buy DDR400 for my laptop, and it works fine. See if you can remove somebody elses ram and try it in yours.

this is the memory types that will suit your machine.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...sp?SysID=+16247+&distributor=0&submit1=Search
and here is the Crucial Link
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...cat=RAM&model=TravelMate+290+Series&submit=Go

SO DIMM
Short for Small Outline DIMM, a small version of a DIMM used commonly in notebook computers. Whereas a full-size DIMM has 168 pins and supports 64-bit transfers, a SO DIMM has only 72 pins, which supports only 32-bit transfers, or 144 pins, which supports a full 64-bit transfer

Just as an FYI, laptops almost always Use So Dimms. That is to keep size down. Also, SO's are ussually more expensive by half than anything on the market withint the same catergory...

Enjoy that machine.. Looks pretty good.

Here's what webopedia had to say about SO-DIMM: Short for Small Outline DIMM, a small version of a DIMM used commonly in notebook computers. Whereas a full-size DIMM has 168 pins and supports 64-bit transfers, a SO DIMM has only 72 pins, which supports only 32-bit transfers, or 144 pins, which supports a full 64-bit transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom