cant delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
im trying to move a file from one folder to another but i get a message each time saying its in use by another program. its not, and even if it was, the computer's been restarted / shutdown a number of times since. is there some way to take away the lock? i dont want to delete, i want to move.

cheers
dan

try to trace the programs that you are currently using in the task manager..
in the task manager, look at the processes tab and sort it so that the username is arranged into yours...

i also think that you have a virus/spyware on your pc, so try scanning your pc first...

Even if he does follow te Task Manager it does not mean he will still be able to delete the file. Some files are hooked into things that run via the task manager but you wouldnt know. As going by the Task Manager shows you the Processes running. What if it is a service and you do not realize it. Going at it from Safe Mode will prevent the service or process what every it may be from even starting and you can delete it then.

hey makaveli, what a helpful message... LOL
I was just pointing out the facts that using the Task Manager will not always work. There are applications that are linked to processes and services. Most of the time you stop the process but not the service. So you still can not delete it.

That way if the OP did follow your advice and it did not work, then would know why. It is better to explain why something wont work then to have someone try it and it not work and they come back asking why. Unless of course you didnt know that and couldnt answer it. But that is the right answer. Glad to be of service. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom