Need a better Southbridge cooler to get RAID array back online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
I need to get my chipset-controlled RAID array back online, so that I can migrate to a SATA II controller card I just bought -I need to get the data off the discs by getting the Southbridge cool enough to run them once again. I've tried several cheap, puny fans before and they cool the chipset down enough to use the RAID, but only for a few days, or weeks (if at all). (clearly my Southbridge is very fussy about running the RAID at the right temp). EVEREST says my motherboard is currently 39C but still that's too hot for it to load my S2 drives :(

What are good Southbridge coolers? I've never bought anything other than a tiny little fan. Although I just want to cool it temporarily I may as well get something good.

Not sure I want to go down this road though: Thermalright HR-05 IFX Northbridge Chipset Heatsink (huge)

edit: been using these-

Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

Untitled-2%20copy.jpg

i really think you didnt need sufficient cooling on your south bridge only passive, nb is the one you want to use a fan on.

dont take my word on it though

Thanks. No I don't have a SB ("The memory controller, which handles communication between the CPU and RAM, has been moved onto the processor die in AMD64 processors." -wikipedia).

Yes I'm using good paste, I think it was Arctic Silver or something. The temp, at 39C is not particularly bad is it, just I've noticed that my RAID only runs when I've freshly replaced the cooler, then fails a while later.

So, a good NORTHBRIDGE cooler, anyone? I will be ordering from the net.

39c isnt high at all, dont spend you money on a sb cooler when its not your problem and actually cooling performance should get better over time when you let your thermal paist set in.

I'm positive 39C is the reason it won't handle my RAID. I know this because my RAID works for a while after adding new thermal paste, then stops working. No I didn't measure the temps at the time but 2+2=4. Cooling performance may get better over time but after a point it diminishes.

Cooling performance may get better over time but after a point it diminishes.

ya maybe after 2 or 3 years, but your talkin a week at most... you sb cooler isnt your problem, 39C isnt hot, mine runs over 50C cuz im pumpin alot of voltage through it cuz i change my clock around alot. your sb temp isnt your problem.

my friend had the fan break off his sb hsf and nothing happened. when you buy aftermarket chipset cooling kits the sb cooler is usually just a heatsink

BTW I got SB and NB mixed up. I don't have a SB... AMD64-based systems only have a NB. Sorry!

ya maybe after 2 or 3 years, but your talkin a week at most... you sb cooler isnt your problem, 39C isnt hot, mine runs over 50C cuz im pumpin alot of voltage through it cuz i change my clock around alot. your sb temp isnt your problem.

my friend had the fan break off his sb hsf and nothing happened. when you buy aftermarket chipset cooling kits the sb cooler is usually just a heatsink

NB, not SB. Sorry.

I'm off to crawl under a rock now :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom