Not open for further replies.

b0bby

Beta member
I have a Compaq SR1102BD. I am currently running:

Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
2.53 GHz, 504 MB or RAM

With Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

I had purchased RAM before and it malfunctioned I opened PC and installed clamped both clips and proceeded to start up my PC. The PC started then turned off and continued this, Found out it does this when something isn't connected properly.

Me not knowing much removed the RAM and put it in the other way backwards this burnt it up, So I sent it back and got a refund.

This is the RAM I had purchased.
Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I talked to my uncle and he said it seemed that I did everything right. He also said he ordered his RAM from Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

They have a application that runs a scan and tells you the exact ram needed. So I ran the scan and I had purchased the correct ram. Now I look to purchase this RAM below and have him install it.
512MB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC2700 upgrades for Crucial Scanner Results HP-Compaq Gamila, Giovani, or Neon Motherboards Desktop/PC, CT409922 from Crucial.com

Does anyone see any problems? Or know what I did wrong?

1.) crucial
2.)g.skill
3.)ocz
4.)corsair
5.)patriot/mushkin
6.)Kingston/buffalo

thats in order from best to worst IMO

Best to worst? Hmm. What's that based off of? Overclocking ability? Stability? Would like to understand your logic.

Funny, Crucial Ballistix and Corsair Dominators are some of the best overclockers you can buy, OCZ's aren't great for overclocking and tend to come at higher latencies for a given speed, and my 4GB Patrior Viper Fin's run @ 4-4-4-12 800mhz 24/7 rock solid.

my list does not run true for all models of these brands just most, and it is IMO.

The list is based on brand name reliability,performance, and ocing.

Again, this is in my experience with these brands, i have used all of them and this is how i grade them.

If you do not think this to be true make your own list with the brands you have used.

With that computer, you could go with some value RAM from any listed in Luke's list. You're not going to get high performance out of a Celeron and that setup, but the extra RAM will help it along.

my list does not run true for all models of these brands just most, and it is IMO.

The list is based on brand name reliability,performance, and ocing.

Again, this is in my experience with these brands, i have used all of them and this is how i grade them.

If you do not think this to be true make your own list with the brands you have used.

Not to get into a nit picking argument, but you can't really generalize RAM in one list. Theirs RAM for overclocking and gaming, theirs RAM you'd want to use in a server, then theirs RAM you'd want for your basic desktop that does day to day tasks. It just depends on the application.

In the real world, for a non-overclocked or gaming computer, you're going to be fine with any of the brands you listed, it's not really going to matter what one. Sure, you may have to RMA a bad stick, or you might get a bad OC'ing stick that's underperforming, that happends regardless of the RAM you use.

Like Trotter said, for his celly, he'd be fine with some value RAM. Kingston has a good series of ValueRAM that I've put into a few rigs for people over the years

Yeah I agree with the Admin, doesn't really matter what you get in your case it's not going to be some big thing considering your specs. If you were super modding your rig I would consider Luke's List because his is pretty accurate.

Not to get into a nit picking argument, but you can't really generalize RAM in one list. Theirs RAM for overclocking and gaming, theirs RAM you'd want to use in a server, then theirs RAM you'd want for your basic desktop that does day to day tasks. It just depends on the application.

In the real world, for a non-overclocked or gaming computer, you're going to be fine with any of the brands you listed, it's not really going to matter what one. Sure, you may have to RMA a bad stick, or you might get a bad OC'ing stick that's underperforming, that happends regardless of the RAM you use.

Like Trotter said, for his celly, he'd be fine with some value RAM. Kingston has a good series of ValueRAM that I've put into a few rigs for people over the years

lol, have i ever said a lower end stick would be a bad choice, or a value ram set. No, like all i did was give him a list of reliable brands, ocing, and performance overall. This is for he can make a general decision of which brands to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom