Help with my gaming PC? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ShaolinDreams, I see you are a gamer (from your sig). Do you use Vista or XP?
I see you use Vista, surgeVel. How do you like it? Do you play games on your PC and have you had any major problems with it?

I've been reading a lot about Vista vs XP and it seems XP is better for gaming...
I'm just seeing if y'all have any opinions that could help me decide. :rolleyes:

For now, for the most part it seems XP will get you better frame rates. At the same time in another 6 months or so, I would imagine you could do things on Vista that you can't do on XP. Like people say with quad core processors Vista is future-proof... am I using that right? Anyway if anything new happens it'll be on Vista not XP. So I wouldn't upgrade to Vista for a while but if you don't have any OS then I think it'd be a better idea to go with Vista.

Also referring to your earlier question on resolution. Its a 19" right? I think pretty much anything would run great on 1024 x 768. Not sure how the higher resolutions would fare though. What resolution is your computer normally at?

I keep my computer on 1024 x 768 for no particular reason; it's what I'm most comfortable with I guess.

Edit:
Like I said before, I was thinking about purchasing OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.
What does "SLI ready" mean though? SLi is when you use 2 or more video cards, right? What does that have to do with RAM?
(I would like to overclock my PC, if that matters when purchasing RAM) Would one of these be a better buy?
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory?
or
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory?
I saw these two were recommended in the "Recommended PC components" thread. I'd like to buy two 2GB sticks of RAM, so whatever is better I'd like to know.

Haha, sorry for all my questions. I just really enjoy learning about computers and such, and I need some help since this is my first time building a PC. :D

Ok, so I've been talking to several other people and they really recommend this ThermalRight heatsink. Coupled with the Scythe fan I hear it's pretty much the best heatsink out there...

What are y'alls opinions on this heatsink? Just how loud would that fan be?

Also, should I buy a warranty with any of my computer parts? The mobo or processor maybe?

Most parts come with plenty of a warranty to begin with. If it has atleast a 1 year warranty, I'd say don't buy any extended plans. Most of the time they have 3 years or lifetime warranties.

Yes, that is about the best you will find for a heatsink/fan combo. If you want something a bit cheaper, the Xigmatek Rifle 120mm is also very great and I swear by it. Oh and I use Vista and still get excellent frame rates. Never had any problem with it, and to utilize the full graphics potential, you have to have Vista because DirectX 10 support is only with Vista. PLUS Vista is cheaper. Go Vista and you won't be dissappointed.

Ooooo, I totally forgot about DirectX 10. haha
You just saved me! xD

I might just buy the Xigmatek Rifle 120mm and upgrade heatsink/fan later. But I'd save money if I bought it now. I guess I'll wait and see how big my next paycheck is Friday. That'll be the deciding factor I guess. heh

awww man, great. I couldn't buy it quite yet because I haven't received my paycheck yet...

I need to decide which card to buy again. heh... great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom