9800GTX or 8800GT step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
My EU step up finally went through (and another anti- EVGA warning for EU customers)

RIGHT! my choice is (to upgrade from my 8800 GTS 320)

-8800GT for £27 (~$54)
-9800GTX for £81 (~$162)

I'm a little short of cash, so it'll prolly be the GT, but is there a strong case for the 9800GTX?

Cheers for any help!

General upgrade while I have the chance (EVGA step up programme window). Nothing right now, and I can't think of anything I play that a GT couldn't do as well as a 98GTX, but that will no doubt change in a year or two. So at the moment, its certainly not worth it for me, but I'm not a constant upgrade type, so this should last for a long time.

The question is, is the performance (/not overheating) gain worth the extra price?

The gt can play everything that's out but Crysis on ultra high settings...

And otherwise I would wait on this upgrade... the new new GPU's are coming out making the really powerful ones even cheaper... though, if you don't play crysis.. you can pretty much use anything..

The 8800GTS has the (G92) newer core... I would probably get that one if I were looking at buying an 8800 series... I don't know about the price though.

Leave the 9800 to themselves... 8800 series can play anything thats out now and more... heck, my 7900 can even play Crysis on medium with good FPS...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Yeah, I agree a wait would be worth it, but its a 'now or never' kind of thing.

Interestingly, upgrade to the GTS512 is more expensive that the 9800 GTX, so I have ignored that one.

I would go with the 8800 GT (g92) then if price is really that much of an issue... not worth it to go any higher right now... newer cards are coming out that are going to blow future games away just to play 'Crysis'..

Looking at the card you have now.. why even get a new card? you won't be getting anything special... the card you have now should be ultra high in every game but Crysis.

Well, not quite. It stutters on Oblivion, even at my 1280x1024, as I do max out AA and AF.

I figure, why not take the chance to make it a bit more futureproof. Plus I've been waiting in the queue for 4.5 months. Its got personal

I would go with the GTX personally, as its going to be a much bigger upgrade over the GT. And those GTS320s have tanked in value really hardcore. The 9800GTX overclocks like a mofo too.

I would go with the GTX personally, as its going to be a much bigger upgrade over the GT. And those GTS320s have tanked in value really hardcore. The 9800GTX overclocks like a mofo too.

I agree... but price seems to be an issue? if you did wait a while price wouldn't be an issue... I really like the 9800GTX personally... though I don't agree with any card that is out yet because I believe the newer cards are going to have such a higher jump that these older cards will all su*k... everyone will probably regret ever buying them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom