Multi-core questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Hi, I have been wondering about multi-core processors for a long time. My current PC is using an Intel Celeron M 1.7GHz, and I've decided to build a new PC. I've decided to go with a multi core processor and I've had one big question:

Is the labeled clock speed on the processor the speed of both the cores? Or is the labeled clock speed the sum of both the cores?

Its the speed of 1 core, and never NEVER ever take the sum of both cores (so don't say my q6600 has a 2.4ghz stock, that means its 9600mhz!! gasp!!!!) that was a hypothetical example

Oh, and please don't compare multi core clock speeds with older chips either, they really don't compare at all. Like my E2140 with it's measly 1.6ghz stock speed can easily wipe the floor with say, a P4 3.0ghz.

I'm just sayin, it's not just about clock speed anymore, the arcitechture has changed way too much for that. On that note, I'm going to google the correct spelling of "arcitechture" because I'm very sure I just butchered the heck out of it.

Yup, just because its a low clock speeds, doesnt mean its slow. A slow dual core will beat a fast single core every time.

that and Core 2 Duos outperform Pentium D's even though a lot of them have half of the Core Clock speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom