HTPC Video Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
I have two choices for a video card to power my HTPC. Im gonna be playing DVD's, maybe bluray in the future. So mostly video playback, streaming and it must be able to output onto a tv. I beleive thats what the S-Video output is for? How does that work?

Anyway, its between a 8500GT 512mb and a 2600PRO 512mb.

Im leaning towards the 2600PRO for its 1080p hardware processing but i just wanted to know. Thanx.

Is the htpc already built? Amd's new 780G boards have great hd video playback built in already.

Also, do you run folding at home? The HD 2600Pro will support the New Gpu client, so when its not being used you can contribute to science and fold.

Id say both cards are equal, with the 2600pro being slightly better.

Nah its not built. im pretty proud of my 'theoretical build'. Its around $600 AUS.
Ill look into that mobo. Thanx.

HTPC Build (Not very specific but you get the idea)

CPU: Intel E2200 2.2ghz - $93
MOBO: Gigabyte 73VM-S2 - $59
RAM: 2gig Kit Trancsend - $45
HD: WD 500GB Sata - $110
VIDEO: X2600PRO 512mb - $72
OPTICAL: ASUS DVDRW SATA - $35
CASE: TSUNAMI MINI - $60
PSU: Gigabyte 460W - $55
TV CARD: Gigabyte Hybrid - $65

------------------------------- $594

Nah i wanna go down the intel route. Im not gonna go with that mobo because it needs and AMD cpu and no one round my area sells it. Thanx heaps though. :)

Also, i changed the Motherboard on my parts list because it needed to be MicoATX. Anyone have a 2600PRO? Is it loud?

The issue is im in Aus, we have no big distributor like NewEgg. We have nothing. So my local shop has to do me. The only card they have with the ICeQ is an 1650 but i want the 2600PRO. Do you think noise will be an issue:

Cheap HTPC MiniATX Case
2-3 80mm fans
2600PRO Generic
Stock Intel Heatsink

Am i gonna get annoyed? Keep in mind my budget is max $600 AUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom