Should I get 4GB of RAM? Difficolt question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
Ok. I have already ordered some stuff, like CPU.. etc for my new computer

But right now, I am thinking about Memory.

Do you think I would need 4GB of Ram?
Like.. this one
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I will be using my Old Windows XP cope and Linux as well (Kubuntu KDE 4).

Do you think it is good to buy 4GB now?

Simply, 4GB will help with Vista performance and is more future proof while 2GB is enough for XP gaming. You still got 2 more ram slots so you don't have to worry up future upgrades.

I would recommend this ram for 2GB:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or perhaps this if you don't mind waiting for the MIR:
Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm sure you've seen it in places, but if you are using XP home, it's prolly 32 bit. and 32 bit os's won't recognize 4 gigs. I'd recommend getting a single 2gb stick so you can upgrade your os later and upgrade ram along the road afterwards

if you arent using vista i see no real reason to get 4GB of ram. unless maybe you do a lot of mutlitasking/encoding and whatnot, then you might benefit from it.

XP and linux just don't use the resources to need it. Vista on the other hand, i don't recommend under 3 or 4GB for optimal performance.

and if you get g.skill check the timings first ^^ theres lots of sets with slower timings. Great ram though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom