• Socket 775
Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors
Motherboard
• Manufacturer: ECS
• Motherboard Name: RC410-M
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope2-GL8E
OS- Windows XP SP2
1) Can the FSB speed be increased from 533 MHz to 800 MHz?

2) Does the Existing FSB speed of 533 MHz makes any limitations to the working of the RAM module? There is something like it written in the specification of RAM also like my existing RAM is 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory! I have read in pc mags that many memory modules come with specification like 533 MHz, 800 MHz…etc
I opened my pc case and removed my memory module. It was written on it- 512 Mb 1R*8 PC2-4200U-444-12. Does this specification means that my existing memory module is infact working on 444MHz?
I checked in with transcend site as I wanted to buy a new RAM module and in their website there is a provision to search for the specific RAM as per the PC type. So the information I got was – for 1GB – DDR2 Memory 240pin FB-DIMM DDR2- 533 ECC Fully Buffered DIMM.
Is this specification same if compared with my existing RAM module?
In the pc shops available RAM is of 667 MHz of 1GB. Is it compatible with my pc?

3) I have installed a new graphics card 512 MB NVidia GeForce 7300 GTI. I was thinking that my pc would combine the onboard graphics card ATI Radeon Xpress 200 with the newer one! But its not! Can my inbuilt graphic card somehow be put into use as well for getting extensive graphics?

4) My pc is not booting properly after I had installed the new graphic card. I had to press F10 and somehow the pc got started by showing a page of BIOS information in start-up. Then I again shut down and started by pressing F1 for MSDOS page. After clicking esc, the system regained normal boot! Then again the next day, it again never booted. So I opened the pc case and pressed the graphic card and it booted normally. Then I checked for restarting the system and again the same problem. Again I had to press in the graphic card. I even cleaned the PCI exp slot and still the problem persists. I wanted to ask that does the new graphic card puts load on the power supply unit, or the mainboard functioning? As everything from fans to RAM is working properly!Is this something preceding for a system crash? Even when I removed my graphics card, the system boots very normally.

5) I have seen many local Indian-made computers. They have just 2 GHz speed, 128 MB RAM and a simple DVD writer. When a data DVD is inserted, it hardly takes 3 to 7 secs to open the DVD. But I have been using Light Scribe DVD writer which takes a minute to read the DVD! I had it replaced under warranty from HP and still the same problem is again seen! Do the techs do some modifications for obtaining better results with lower RAM usage of new pc hardware?
--------------------------
Eric

1) Yes it can but I doubt you would be able to get it there. However you might not even be able to just because it is an HP prebuilt computer. They lock most of their motherboards to not allow any modifications. What you described is overclocking. Be very careful if you try and bring the FSB up bit by bit.

2) Your RAM and CPU's FSB are working at the same speed. 4200 translates into 533MHz. I'm not sure if your board would support anything higher than that.

3) No. No way at all.

4) It depends on what wattage your PSU is as you didn't specify. Anything 450W or higher should be enough to power it. If you have to press it in every time it doesn't sound like it's installed properly. There should be some sort of lock mechanism that holds it in. If it doesn't have a lock you need to figure a safe way to keep it held in.

5) It could just be an IDE cable fault. Try another cable. Also what speed is the drive? The other computers could have faster drives. There is no mod you can do to speed it up. It's completely hardware based and cannot go any faster.

Hi,
IDE Cable fault! The dvd drive that i have is just like any other typical dvd drive. I don't know why the DVD drive doesn't work perfectly like the other components of the pc under similar warranty!

-------------
eric

Hi,
IDE Cable fault! The dvd drive that i have is just like any other typical dvd drive. I don't know why the DVD drive doesn't work perfectly like the other components of the pc under similar warranty!

-------------
eric

That doesn't mean a cable can't be at fault, though. And, like Cvb asked, what is the speed of the drive. Are you sure they're using data DVD's and not data CD's? CD's have a higher read rate (up to 52x) than DVD's (normal speed was 16x, but it has gone up on newever drives to 20x I believe).

Yeah it has been pushed to 20x in some drives. You need to check what speed it runs at. Just search the net for your model number if you can't find the specs on the drive.

Well since its a prebuilt HP, he should just be able to look up the model number of the PC, and look at what kind of burner it has in it.

Hi,

Here are the specifications of my DVD drive....
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive
• Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
• Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
Function Maximum speed
DVD-RAM Up to 5X
DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 4X
DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X
DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X
DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X
CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

If i give this drive to a pc expert, can it made workable again?
----------------------
eric

You can't speed the drive up physically I told you that already. The eye can only read as fast as the drives maximum speed. If you speed it up more you'll either break the drive or the eye won't read everything properly. Not to mention it will void any warranty. Just switch the drive yourself with another brand since the same problem happened again.

It could also be the speed of the disks you're using. If you have 4x disks but a 16x burner, the drive can only burn the disk at 4x speed.

The boot issues could be related to the fact you have nto turned off the onboard video while using a dedicated video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom